Pickin a cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can somebody please fill this void of stupidity in my brain! I want to UPGRADE my cam but have no Ideal how to go about it. What do I look for? How do I know that the cam Im looking at is BETTER then what I have. Not looking for something aggressive, but a mild cam would be nice. Plan on getting a SC in the future so would want it to work fluidly with one. any help would be nice!

DallasD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently talking to my motor guy about a bunch of different setups. I will write on here what the outcome is when I get a sit down with him. I'm looking for more torque down low and not so much on the hp side. I want to scream til about 80 then if it falls off I'm not worried about it. If you want to do a S/C I would suggest doing some forged low compression pistons and all of the supporting mods. Otherwise you won't be able to run more that maybe 6-8 lbs of boost without fear of blowing something.

SloZ71Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are looking for some low end i would keep the duration around 218/220 or some where close to that. Running a small stall with that will also help, but not nessary. I just got done puttin my cam in my tahoe its a 218/222 .564/.566 on a 112 lsa. If you are wanting a supercharger down the line i would keep it around a 114 lsa. Thats just what i have been told after purchasing my cam. So far i have just a TB stall and my cam and i can tell a difference in low end and its just half ass tuned.

first you need to figure out what all your going to do motor wise then pick a cam combo. Im sure some other guys will chime in also

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First and foremost, the best person to suggest a cam for your needs, would be the cam company itself. You should be able to call them and tell them exactly what you are looking for as well as what your future plans are. They should be able to suggest a grind.

That being said, a 218/220 is not good for low end, and I would not suggest it unless you want a good mid range cam.

I wanted a mild cam for my Tahoe as it is a DD and I knew a blower would be going on. I went with Comp Cam 206/212 115LSA and was pleased with the results across the power band. I didn't want a lopey cam, nor one that would take away the pleasure of driving.

SloZ71Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i did, called comp and talked to them about what i wanted... And thats what they cut for me.

SloZ71Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which one, hers or mine? I dont remember mine. Like i said i called up comp and told them that i was going to put a cam in my truck and he told me that this cam would work for keeping some low end. He said i didnt have to run a stall but if i wanted to it would help alot more.

They will be more than happy to help you pic out a cam. They were alot of help when i was trying to find a cam for my truck, even though its now in my tahoe. lol

Last edited:

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say determine what RPM band you want to work with. Keep it under 6k? Maybe push it to 65? Once you have your high side figured out find cams that work up there, and find the bottom of those cams say 2500 rpm. Get a stall to match that cams low end. Now, you want to blow it right? You want little to no over lap between your exhaust and intake lobes. Which is more than the LSA (lobe seperation angle) you must also factor in the duration of the cam to find the over lap...

I would recommend this cam "TR Blower" - 214/230 .601/.579 117 LSA

idle to 6800rpm, will prolly still want a mild stall, say 2300-2500, you can steal one from a 6cyl trailblazer for cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed