Performance muffler welded in place of OEM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm looking to purchase an aftermarket muffler. I am going to cut out the OEM muffler and flapper and weld in a replacement muffler. I have heard that the OEM pipe diameter at that point in the exhaust system is 2.75" which is weird.

Can anyone confirm what size the pipe is on my 2016 Burb at the muffler inlet/outlet and if it really is 2.75", how are you getting a 2.5" or 3" muffler to fit? Reducers?

How have you done it? Thanks!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.75" factory pipe slips just inside the 3" inlet of the muffler. The aftermarket muffler will be shorter than the stock muffler, so you'll need a length of pipe added in to make up the difference. I had scrap 3" exhaust tubing on hand, so I just needed a 3"-to-3" connector for the muffler's outlet and filler pipe. I actually just used a 4" long piece of the 3" tubing, sliced it down one side so it could be spread open, then welded in the gap once the pipes were fit together. The 3" filler pipe slips over the remaining 2.75" factory pipe, where it then continues over the axle and out the side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts