Parking pawl replacement 6l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
if yours is AWD then there is no park, the front and rear wheels bind together which is why it will roll away on you if you are on any kind of incline and jack either end up off the ground.
What??!!

Park is just a feature in the transmission to lock the output shaft.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
no park on a gm AWD, go ahead and try jacking it up and see what happens, mine rolled out the driveway....... until then I was not a believer

That is a pretty far out statement. Anyone who jacks up a vehicle without chocking the wheels on an incline or using some other method to restrain the vehicle should not be jacking up vehicles. Anyone who jacks up the drive wheels on a car on an incline expecting transmission park to keep the vehicle in place should not be working on cars.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
if yours is AWD then there is no park, the front and rear wheels bind together which is why it will roll away on you if you are on any kind of incline and jack either end up off the ground.

Just to further clarify, if you have a RWD or AWD vehicle in 'park' on an incline of say 5 degrees, and you jack up the rear end (being one of the either ends in your statement) with a wheeled jack, it is likely going to roll downhill. It is also very dangerous and should not be attempted.

However, that doesn't mean the transmission 'park' feature is missing or not working. It also doesn't mean that AWD doesn't have the same 'park' feature.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to further clarify, if you have a RWD or AWD vehicle in 'park' on an incline of say 5 degrees, and you jack up the rear end (being one of the either ends in your statement) with a wheeled jack, it is likely going to roll downhill. It is also very dangerous and should not be attempted.

However, that doesn't mean the transmission 'park' feature is missing or not working. It also doesn't mean that AWD doesn't have the same 'park' feature.
lol, NO PARK ON GM AWD SUV'S, AWD vehicles have no park instead it binds front & rear axles. still shows "park" in the cluster like normal it just doesn't park in the traditional sense. done with the matter, I was only posting this info for the OP in case they were not aware and thought perhaps they had lost park.
on a separate note I have broken the parking pawl on a non awd gm suv before among many other things
if you jack up your 2wd or 4wd gm suv (with an actual parking function) and it rolls away on the rear wheels then ya you have a problem, normally it should not budge, however a AWD gm suv will roll away, it might not so much if the parking brake is set but the parking brake does not hold nearly as much as parking would on a non awd.
also if you put a gm awd in park and lift up all 4 wheels front and rear will turn together in opposing directions NO PARK function.
but don't believe me, go try it for yourself........ i suggest you not stand in the direction of travel or just let natural selection take over.

Last edited:

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
NO PARK ON GM AWD SUV'S, AWD vehicles have no parking pawl instead it binds front & rear axles. still shows "park" in the cluster like normal it just doesn't have one.
Fair enough Wes, challenge accepted.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough Wes, challenge accepted.
I understand, I didn't believe it either I think it must have something to do with the transfer case, not really any information about it out there
but if you lift those front wheels off the ground it will walk away

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand, I didn't believe it either I think it must have something to do with the transfer case, not really any information about it out there
but if you lift those front wheels off the ground it will walk away
I can confirm that the truck will still roll with only the front wheels off the ground.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
I can confirm that the truck will still roll with only the front wheels off the ground.
That doesn't mean that the 6L80 doesn't have a parking pawl. The parking pawl is just a device in the transmission to lock the output shaft to the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts