Painting faded Emblem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Alexander

Reaction score
Hey all, I was thinking of painting my CHEVY Emblem. I have enclosed the picture of it. Does anyone have any experience with repainting these? Whats best to use? I think I want to make it black and silver.

Attachments

• 20210818_145604.jpg
    20210818_145604.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was thinking of painting my GMC Emblem. I have enclosed the picture of it. Does anyone have any experience with repainting these? Whats best to use? I think I want to make it black and silver.
Is that a factory backup camera or aftermarket?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was thinking of painting my GMC Emblem. I have enclosed the picture of it. Does anyone have any experience with repainting these? Whats best to use? I think I want to make it black and silver.

GMC? That's a Chevrolet emblem ("Bow Tie").

Anyway, that clear inlay with the gold leaf behind it can be separated from the chrome part. Use a heat gun to soften the adhesive. You can clean up and leave the chrome part only or paint it or paint the removed inlay and reinstall it. You're gonna have to remove the gold leaf on the backside by chemical and/or mechanical means so the adhesive will bond the plastics.

Here's a pic of mine after I removed the inlay:

571eeeab-8a02-4e29-87d3-cdcbd4e164dc_zpsftf7gyeh-jpg.177376

I rocked it like that for about two years then painted it. Here's a post in my thread where I painted the chrome part. I bent the clear inlay when I removed it so it was trashed and no longer an option to reinstall it: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1289052

OP
OP
E

Ed Alexander

Reaction score
GMC? That's a Chevrolet emblem ("Bow Tie").

Anyway, that clear inlay with the gold leaf behind it can be separated from the chrome part. Use a heat gun to soften the adhesive. You can clean up and leave the chrome part only or paint it or paint the removed inlay and reinstall it. You're gonna have to remove the gold leaf on the backside by chemical and/or mechanical means so the adhesive will bond the plastics.

Here's a pic of mine after I removed the inlay:

1eeeab-8a02-4e29-87d3-cdcbd4e164dc_zpsftf7gyeh-jpg.jpg

I rocked it like that for about two years then painted it. Here's a post in my thread where I painted the chrome part. I bent the clear inlay when I removed it so it was trashed and no longer an option to reinstall it: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1289052

Yes I meant chevy. Sorry. Also great job on that emblem!