paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i went to a body shop to get an estimate to fix and repaint my 96 tahoe. the guy acted like he just didn't want to paint my car. he said they only do first rate work, nothing half-ass, like the remove all the moldings, window rubber, pretty much everything before they strip to bare metal. what i needed done was to have some dings filled and repainted. the hood has some issue where the hinges are too. also, my original paint has got the clear coat problem where it cracks and dries up. so he quotes $7000 for this maybe more and suggests i go to another shop and get a cheaper paint job. so how much do you guys think it should cost for a decent paint job with some minor ding repairs? or for that matter how much did you spend on your paint?

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry you had to deal with a dick. Hopefully you will find someone good to do it for you. Sorry but I dont know how much a paint job would cost

Dlong30

Reaction score
that sucks man... im not exactly sure but my buddy paid 2k for a paint job that wasnt up to par for me. Dont know about 7k though. thats steep!

grnrpr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on where you are here in my town you can get a nice job minus jams for around 2-2500 but 7 that dick just didnt want to do your hoe.....get a whole job jams and all your looking prolly around 5000 here in area hope this helps....good luck

quietfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for a baremetal strip and all repair work, 4500-6k is fair but i'd expect top quality work at that price. fucken meticulous...

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep shopping, some shops really get snooty..don't get me wrong, they probably do great work but you can find someone half that price and you'll never know the difference.

B

baron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4~5K is what I've typically heard for a pretty top notch job. We aren't talking car show, keep it under a dust cover quality, but basically back to how it looked (probably better knowing GM's cheap paints) from the factory. I honestly wouldn't be surprised about 7k for repairs + everything. Either way, I'd find a new place as I wouldn't get a guy like that my cash.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4-5K sounds about right. Some shops won't touch rust either...I know a guy with a shop, I went in and he was not there and the guy basically said no until they realized who I was and painted in the next week. I had the whole grey band and all the fenders flare painted and some rust spots fixed for 900 I think. did the bumpers and grill also.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if they act like they don't wanna do it, easy, don't let them. Find someone that wants your wok.

OP
OP
W

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for all the responses, i agree that was too much, even if i did spend the money to get show car quality, that's not what i want either. i drive this truck off road sometimes and i would be scared of getting a scratch if i spent that kind of money.
i guess i will try a few shops and see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbarajas74

Latest posts