P0420 Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall2002

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well...after 320k miles, I'm now getting a P0420 code, whiich translates to the catalytic converter efficiency. At the advice of my mechanic, I've tried a bottle of CataClean, but the code refuses to stay cleared. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom in Terms of tackling the replacement? Is this a DIY and if so, should one cut and weld the cats or just buy the full replacement kits?

2002 Yukon Denali

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...after 320k miles, I'm now getting a P0420 code, whiich translates to the catalytic converter efficiency. At the advice of my mechanic, I've tried a bottle of CataClean, but the code refuses to stay cleared. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom in Terms of tackling the replacement? Is this a DIY and if so, should one cut and weld the cats or just buy the full replacement kits?

2002 Yukon Denali

With 320k on the clock I would delete the darn things. I live in OK so no inspections that may not work for you. I would think used with low miles would be the way to go? Cut out the old and weld in the new/used. That depends on your skill set. Seems excessive for all new on that high of a mile vehicle. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

2002 Yukon Denali

Upgrade the exhaust if you want, but otherwise yeah, just cut and weld new ones in. I'd do both as a pair. Save for scrap to help cover cost, they're worth a fistfull.
If you're not in California, @Tonyrodz had some, not sure if he still does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt