p0324 knock sensor code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. it says 91 octane is recommended but 87 is acceptable. just like all my hemi rams over the years. the computer compensates for the difference. the only downfall in lower octane is miniscule mpg. less than the cost difference. if it doesn't knock on 87 octane, then it is fine. never had this problem with any of my prior hemis or gms. it was the afm period. to blame it on octane is a joke. but you believe what you want.

Out of curiosity what brand of fuel do you use?

OP
OP
jerryhipp

jerryhipp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i only use shell,sunoco and mobil. i don't put shit gas. i use mobil 1 oil.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i only use shell,sunoco and mobil. i don't put shit gas. i use mobil 1 oil.

I have had issues with Shell fuel. Burned unbelievable fast when I used it for the one and only time I used it plus my Hoe ran poorly. I burn Exxon-Mobil 99% of the time as they always keep up with maintenance at all their stations. When I am Maryland on I-95 I get Sunoco at the Maryland House. Seems to work good. As I recall Sunoco just recently became a Top Tier fuel.

As far as oil goes I use either 0w20 Mobil 1 or 0w20 AC Delco. Both work just fine. I only use AC Delco Filters.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. it says 91 octane is recommended but 87 is acceptable. just like all my hemi rams over the years. the computer compensates for the difference. the only downfall in lower octane is miniscule mpg. less than the cost difference. if it doesn't knock on 87 octane, then it is fine. never had this problem with any of my prior hemis or gms. it was the afm period. to blame it on octane is a joke. but you believe what you want.

Jerry, the GM computer compensates for the low octane fuel by the knock sensors, so when it detects pinging and knocking it retards the timing. If memory serves, the Rams determine the octane rating and then run those fuel and timing tables. GM does this too but only with Ethanol on certain vehicles. A high compression engine like the 6.2 is going to eventually self-destruct on that stuff because most of the time you cannot even hear it.

AFMs worst enemy is dirty oil. Regardless of what GM says, those who don't change their oil at around 5K miles or less are nearly always the first to experience AFM issues. You didn't tell us which cylinder(s) took a dive and whether or not it affected the head(s).

OP
OP
jerryhipp

jerryhipp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i didn't ask which cylinder. all that was said is it was a afm lifter that caused it.

OP
OP
jerryhipp

jerryhipp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i did buy the truck used. so that is the chance you take. you never know how the previous owner maintained it. however i was told the tranny is like new. lol. i just keep reading all the horror stories on these afm problems with these trucks. and its not just gm, all manufacturers that have the cylinder cut off seem to have this issue. what a crap invention in general.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did buy the truck used. so that is the chance you take. you never know how the previous owner maintained it. however i was told the tranny is like new. lol. i just keep reading all the horror stories on these afm problems with these trucks. and its not just gm, all manufacturers that have the cylinder cut off seem to have this issue. what a crap invention in general.

I assume you did not get service records when you bought your Denali. If the previous owner stretched the oil changes [or used the wrong grade oil] that could have lead to your issue.

I would not buy any vehicle without service records. But that is just me.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had issues with Shell fuel. Burned unbelievable fast when I used it for the one and only time I used it plus my Hoe ran poorly. I burn Exxon-Mobil 99% of the time as they always keep up with maintenance at all their stations. When I am Maryland on I-95 I get Sunoco at the Maryland House. Seems to work good. As I recall Sunoco just recently became a Top Tier fuel.

As far as oil goes I use either 0w20 Mobil 1 or 0w20 AC Delco. Both work just fine. I only use AC Delco Filters.

Same exact experience with shell fuels here and at one BP station. Idled like crap and felt weak. The best fuel I have is the Chevron which wants near 40 cent more a gallon compared to every other station or our local owned everything stop shop. The fuel from the later runs the best with the best economy and idle. It was a accidental discovery when they were the only place open late one night and I needed a little gas to get home so I could hit chevron in the AM. Been using them since with great results. Pretty sure they use murphy fuels as the same owner has 4 murphy stations here. I also run 93 only with my BB tune.

lbenson

Reaction score
Recommended 91 octane for a reason! 173,600 miles on my 15 Denali with with 6.2L and 8 speed, all original lifters/cam/everything. BUT it has always run 91+ octane and oil changed on time every time! It makes a huge difference!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645