P0304 P0443 white smoke misfire 07 Tahoe 5.3 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
Alright so after second analysis it appears that the P0443 is pointing us right to the purge solenoid under the hood or the PCM. After checking with multi meter and checking vacuum when plugged in and unplugged all seems to be ok with the new solenoid. At another road block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
Replaced the vent valve under the car about 6 months ago because of pressure building up in gas tank. No codes pointing towards it and gas tank isn’t pressurized ,it seems fine. Charcoal canister could be bad and clogged I guess. When I crank it almost cranks faster than normal and it stutters at idol. I cleared codes took for a test drive after checking wiring harness all looks in good order. I might try disconnecting hose from canister while running to see what I get

OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
Welp dad offered to slap another purge solenoid it it to rule it out once and for all. No dice. Guess I’m going to focus on electric moving forward. This is a bear

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your old purge valve to verify it isn’t clogged. Sometimes when a canister fails, it’ll shoot carbon pellets through the lines, which can end up at the valve and clog it. Pellets keep clogging the purge valve until you clear the lines of those pellets. When you disconnect the line, shake it. If you hear rattling, then there are pellets in the line. You can also inspect the inside of the purge valve for carbon pellets. I had to disconnect all lines at their connections and blow them out to clear the pellets when this occurred on my truck.

As for cylinder 4 issue, you can also rent a coolant pressure test kit from like Autozone to see if your coolant system can hold pressure. If you have leak down, then it confirms a leak. Pull the spark plug from cylinder 4 to see if it’s wet or cleaned off compared to your other plugs.

Note that if you have a coolant leak in a cylinder during the test, you’ll want to pull the plugs before cranking it over, or else you get hydro-locked (best case) or bend a valve or connecting rod if the leak is significant enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
Taking it to my buddies shop on Monday he has all the tools in the world I could need for better diagnostics. I’m beginning to lean towards crankshaft position sensor after a little more research. Gonna preform a smoke test and compression test for sure. I threw the old purge valve solenoid out by mistake like a big dummy. So vaccine leak, spliced wire, or bad pcm or crankshaft position sensor. Guess we will see

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Taking it to my buddies shop on Monday he has all the tools in the world I could need for better diagnostics. I’m beginning to lean towards crankshaft position sensor after a little more research. Gonna preform a smoke test and compression test for sure. I threw the old purge valve solenoid out by mistake like a big dummy. So vaccine leak, spliced wire, or bad pcm or crankshaft position sensor. Guess we will see

"vaccine" leak LOL get that under control!

OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
IMG_0474.jpg
Anyone have anything similar before?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I get that same smoke after a cold start as it warms up. That is normal. When driving the heat builds in the exhaust. When shut off engine the heat will cause condensation in the exhaust system while cooling down. Then that condensation gets heated up on a restart and causes smoke like this. That is grey smoke and a byproduct of this process. When you have coolant burning white smoke it will look thick, like cotton candy. I see no problems with this smoke.

I would guess that if there is a problem in the evap system this same smoke could differ than what you are used to seeing and of course that needs to be addressed.

OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
Problem is it spits this consistently at idle and even heavy when rolling down the road

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo