P0304 P0443 white smoke misfire 07 Tahoe 5.3 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
Today is the day the old hoe sees a shop for the second time in her life. Hope to get to the bottom of this today once and for all. Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
Compression test. Cylinder 2 150. Cylinder 4 0. Cylinder 6 150

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner with cylinder #4. "0" compression means a dead cylinder. If the rest of the cylinders are showing close to the same compression, then you are running on 7 cylinders. Now to find the compression problem. I would pull the valve cover and look at the rockers while someone turns the engine over. See if the rockers for cylinder #4 are moving the same as the others under there. You may have bent push rods or lifter problems or a piston problem. Before you do this, remove the compression test line from cylinder #4 and squirt some motor oil in there and run the compression test again. If the compression comes up then the problem is with the piston rings but if you have a hole in the piston the compression will not come up. If the problem is in the valve train the compression will stay the same as well. You may have a severe leak at the head gasket but I have never seen that with "0" compression.

OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
Will know more once I get into the engine. Possible head gasket, bad cylinder, bad piston, bad lifter. Don’t have any money to put into it unfortunately and they are Suggesting a whole new engine so... hope this thread helps someone else out there. Once I get another good job a new truck will be on the agenda.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, so a shop did the compression test. Did you ask them to do a wet/oil test yet? If you go under the valve cover they are going to charge more of course.

OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner with cylinder #4. "0" compression means a dead cylinder. If the rest of the cylinders are showing close to the same compression, then you are running on 7 cylinders. Now to find the compression problem. I would pull the valve cover and look at the rockers while someone turns the engine over. See if the rockers for cylinder #4 are moving the same as the others under there. You may have bent push rods or lifter problems or a piston problem. Before you do this, remove the compression test line from cylinder #4 and squirt some motor oil in there and run the compression test again. If the compression comes up then the problem is with the piston rings but if you have a hole in the piston the compression will not come up. If the problem is in the valve train the compression will stay the same as well. You may have a severe leak at the head gasket but I have never seen that with "0" compression.
Appreciate your response. I guess best case scenario here would be head gasket or lifter then. He told me they have someone that can rework it unless it’s the piston then may as well go with new engine.

OP
OP
Jps0039

Jps0039

Reaction score
Ok, so a shop did the compression test. Did you ask them to do a wet/oil test yet? If you go under the valve cover they are going to charge more of course.
Buddy and I just did it outside his shop. Didn’t do a wet compression test, though I did mention it. They were swamped and he was really just trying to help me quickly no charge. Would love to have spent a little more time on their high dollar reader running tests but he said it doesn’t do much in terms of compression readings.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Buddy and I just did it outside his shop. Didn’t do a wet compression test, though I did mention it. They were swamped and he was really just trying to help me quickly no charge. Would love to have spent a little more time on their high dollar reader running tests but he said it doesn’t do much in terms of compression readings.

Could be as simple as a broken valve spring... pull the valve cover and inspect it... it's free and if it is a spring wouldn't cost that much to fix... assuming nothing else was damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts