P0302 - Misfire Cylinder 2: need help troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertRat

Reaction score
07 Tahoe w/ 5.3 purchased used a few months ago. CEL comes on when idling for roughly 5 mins or so. I've checked the code and every time it's P0302. After purchasing the vehicle I changed plugs and wires, and changed oil. After CEL came on I verified wire and plug were installed correctly on cylinder 2. This weekend I checked voltage to the coil, but didn't have an HEI spark tester so I swapped #2 coil with #4 coil to see if the problem followed the coil. Yesterday I intentionally let truck idle to trigger the CEL, which it did come on. I checked the code, still P0302.

CEL came on before spark plug change as well. Gas is routinely 91.

At this point I'm ready to take it to dealership or qualified mechanic to diagnose since I'm not sure what else to do. What else can I check before going that route?

I want to run fuel system cleaner through it just to see what happens.

Phantom911

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I had the same issue on my 2007 Yukon with 137K mixed miles atI changed the plug and coil indicated by the code and it continued to happen. I took it to the dealer and they said that it was related to DOD. They could fix it for $3500. I didn't do it and it's been about a year or so since the diagnosis. It doesn't idle smoothly but there are no problems at speed. The dealer did say to change oil more frequently to keep it from getting worse, something about the oil passages used in the DOD/Cylinder deactivation. I'll probably put in some kind of oil treatment on the next change. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
You already swapped plugs and coil and it remains. Next I’d swap injectors to see if it follows. But the best thing would be to do a compression test.

OP
OP
D

DesertRat

Reaction score
Do you have DOD/AFM ?

Yes.

maybe a bad injector, maybe it has a intake leak?, I would test for a intake leak and maybe swap injectors

You already swapped plugs and coil and it remains. Next I’d swap injectors to see if it follows. But the best thing would be to do a compression test.

I'm going to swap the injector to see if changes anything. Over the weekend I pulled the connector and the change was minimal at idle. Thanks for the input, I'll check compression and for leaks in a couple weeks. Given the history of the vehicle those would be good to do anyway.

OP
OP
D

DesertRat

Reaction score
Who do you know with a Tech2 Monte?

No one that I'm aware, but I'll ask around. Is there something specific a tech2 would do for me in this situation? I'm a newb when it comes to GM vehicles, this is the first I've owned. I plan to keep it for a while so I may just need to pick one up.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one that I'm aware, but I'll ask around. Is there something specific a tech2 would do for me in this situation? I'm a newb when it comes to GM vehicles, this is the first I've owned. I plan to keep it for a while so I may just need to pick one up.

There's lots it can in this situation. First of all, it can run a test on your AFM system. It can see when and how you're misfiring. It can turn the injectors on and off also for testing. It is absolutely essential to have one to successfully work on these trucks without throwing parts at them.

OP
OP
D

DesertRat

Reaction score
There's lots it can in this situation. First of all, it can run a test on your AFM system. It can see when and how you're misfiring. It can turn the injectors on and off also for testing. It is absolutely essential to have one to successfully work on these trucks without throwing parts at them.

Any suggestions on where to pick one up from? I've seen them on ebay and obd2eshop.com but am still trying to figure out if there are differences. More to the point, I found one on obd2eshop.com for $240 (SP23-1) which ends up being $300 with shipping. It doesn't come with a hard case and it's hard to tell how it compares because the language attempting to clarify difference between items on the website is vague at best. Differences cited on the website are carton box vs hard case or the same but cheaper (lol).

EDIT: additional info added.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645