P 0420 ya and now what

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now i fixed the perge solnoid and get a fresh new code today.

P0420 looking around online is says bad cat. But what i dont get is this. Doesnt say what bank. Truck has 120k. Dont see a loss in power, it does seam like mpg's has dropped. Any body know if it would throw a different code for an O2 sensor. Looks like the PO had 4 new O2 sensors installed. Cats are defin oem. There is some, and has been since i bought it black around the exaust tip. Im in an emissions state so removi.g is not an option.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
just clear it. It wont harm anything. Cats are not cheap.

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do the purge one up by the gas tank?

I have done both. I did the one in the back 5 months ago or so. But not sure if there connected. That was P0496 i believe. And that code cleared. And since i did the perge in the front that code has not returned.

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

just clear it. It wont harm anything. Cats are not cheap.

I like trying to take care of issues when i get them. Otherwise shit piles up and gets depressing. And this truck had me depressed since i got.it.

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can i look at freeze frame data and things like trim levels and O2 sensor voltages on my autocal, that i got from BB?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I have done both. I did the one in the back 5 months ago or so. But not sure if there connected. That was P0496 i believe. And that code cleared. And since i did the perge in the front that code has not returned.

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

I like trying to take care of issues when i get them. Otherwise shit piles up and gets depressing. And this truck had me depressed since i got.it.

its can be intermittent failures. Ive had those codes on different my other car and cleared them and had not returned. If the cat is way to far gone, it would come back instantly with same code.

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its can be intermittent failures. Ive had those codes on different my other car and cleared them and had not returned. If the cat is way to far gone, it would come back instantly with same code.

Im gonna clear it a couple times and go from there

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i cleared it. Drove for an hour and it didnt return or go off again. Whats up with that? Anybody?

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's more than likely going to take more than 1 hour to test it - its a combination of different drive cycles before the 'test' runs again.. could take days / weeks..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC Burbalade

Latest posts