Overheating Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtmeyer8719

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
'05 with a 5.3.

Symptoms
Temp guage reads at the 3/4 mark within 5 minutes of startup. When left to sit at idle for 5 minutes, temp guage went down to normal. Start to drive and it goes back up.
Heater blows out cool air.
When running, squeezed the radiator hose, felt like nothing was passing through.
While it was hot and running, I watched the OEM electric fans for about 5 minutes, and they did not come on.
No visible leaks.
Will check coolant level when truck cools down.
I'm going insane trying to pinpoint exactly what part of the system is screwed.
Any thoughts?

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you done anything to it recently? Could just be a radiator cap causing problems. Sounds like there may be air in the system. Kinda sounds like a t-stat as well.

OP
OP
J

jtmeyer8719

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
See that's my problem is it sounds like 10 different problems.

Update - no coolant in the tank. Completely cooled off.

Now I'm remembering - a month ago we had some serious rain. The passenger side carpet was wet, with liquid coming from around the firewall.

Leaking or clogged heater core?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See that's my problem is it sounds like 10 different problems.

Update - no coolant in the tank. Completely cooled off.

Now I'm remembering - a month ago we had some serious rain. The passenger side carpet was wet, with liquid coming from around the firewall.

Leaking or clogged heater core?
unless you had straight water in the radiator then you would know right away if coolant leaked inside, but I would fill it up and check for leaks, get a flashlight and go all the way under the front end and look around, also look down the sides of the radiator if it's leaking you will usually see it on the lower bracket that it sits in or under the water pump or at the t connectors for the heater hoses on the firewall passenger side.

OP
OP
J

jtmeyer8719

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Coming out of the water pump like a faucet. Weird thing is though - it just started pouring out, and the truck hasn't been started since I filled it last night.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the water pump is an easy job. Getting the fan off is probably the hardest. I highly recommend the special tool specifically for this engine (has pins that go into the pulley). This would be a good opportunity for replacing the idler pulleys and serpentine belt.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a related note, I recently learned that you can pop the seals out of sealed bearings like those in our idler and tensioner pulleys, add grease, and snap the seals back down—no need to change them near as often and you might be surprised at how little grease they start out with.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacing the water pump is an easy job. Getting the fan off is probably the hardest. I highly recommend the special tool specifically for this engine (has pins that go into the pulley). This would be a good opportunity for replacing the idler pulleys and serpentine belt.
it's on 05 should be electric fans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts