over wattage bulbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

"Big Blue"

Reaction score
I don't know too much about electrical issues or what's best. But I have heard that 55w can be hard of your truck's headlight housing. They can get too hot that the plastic could warp, and no one really wants that.

I was actually looking into what would be the brightest bulbs for my high beams. A friend recommended 55w, but not to run them too long for this reason. I would only really use them for a few seconds.

So if you're thinking 55w for your brights then you should be alright. Maybe some other members have a better opinion. Just don't use them too long. If you're looking for the standard headlights, have you looked into HIDs? I know they aren't legal, but you can get projectors. I just ordered projectors with 5000k HIDs, and I'll move my current 8000k HIDs to my fogs. They are beyond bright! I actually feel bad that I blind people. That's why I ordered the projectors.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
yea you run the risk of melting harnesses, Melting housings, and shorting out the circut. Id try to stay stock wattage. Ive seen it happen quite a few times in our shop.

thegeneral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really to make it simple- 55w will burn hotter, and they will blow out faster, like 3 times as fast. I'm replacing 55w fogs as we speak. (I got them 3 months ago)

Buy in quantity and be ready to change them. Otherwise, I love more light, so go crazy.

OP
OP
03tahoe2012

03tahoe2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if you're thinking 55w for your brights then you should be alright. Maybe some other members have a better opinion. Just don't use them too long. If you're looking for the standard headlights, have you looked into HIDs? I know they aren't legal, but you can get projectors. I just ordered projectors with 5000k HIDs, and I'll move my current 8000k HIDs to my fogs. They are beyond bright! I actually feel bad that I blind people. That's why I ordered the projectors.[/QUOTE]

yea i have thought about doing a DEPO retro with HIDs but i mean thats $$$. the $$$ i dont have lol.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

yea you run the risk of melting harnesses, Melting housings, and shorting out the circut. Id try to stay stock wattage. Ive seen it happen quite a few times in our shop.

Thats what i have heard but im just not sure how fast.

"Big Blue"

Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya lol. I finally saved up for projectors... Hopefully they're worth the price. You're on the right path. Just stick with finding brighter bulbs. Before I got my HIDs I had silverstar ultras (don't remember which ones exactly) but they were a lot brighter than the standard stock bulbs, with a wider beam and further distance. They weren't exactly the cheapest things as I can remember.. around 50 bucks. But I felt that they were worth it.

OP
OP
03tahoe2012

03tahoe2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya lol. I finally saved up for projectors... Hopefully they're worth the price. You're on the right path. Just stick with finding brighter bulbs. Before I got my HIDs I had silverstar ultras (don't remember which ones exactly) but they were a lot brighter than the standard stock bulbs, with a wider beam and further distance. They weren't exactly the cheapest things as I can remember.. around 50 bucks. But I felt that they were worth it.

Yea thats what i am thinking about getting!

Conan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would check out headlights ment for the European market. I think we are running higher wattage here. 55W on both high and low beams. We also use the lowbeams as driving lights during daytime. Therefore the dealerships had to change the headlights to European versions and add a relay, cause the lightswitch overheated. I`m not sure what you guys are using, but maybe its worth checking out?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
i use 35 hids and they are good. the 55w will get hotter and thats bad. you need a relay anyway if you get hid system because it uses alot more power and burns wires or it wont pick up like trying to put a 220 dryer into a 110 circuit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bone