Ordered a 2022 RST a few weeks ago - is the salesman not shooting me straight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I've been reading these forums pretty extensively the last few weeks. I ordered a 2022 Tahoe RST in the middle of Feb from a dealer that was charging MSRP (only one my entire area that was as everyone else was over). He told me generally in about a month I'd receive a build #, then from there I would get build date & from what he's seen the entire process can take as little as 2 months to as long as 6 months. I will note that he did say that my deposit is fully refundable, and if they get an allotment of Tahoes in before my car is even built, that depending on what they get in and if i'm willing to accept any different features/colors than I can just buy one of those cars instead (which I thought was an odd thing to say to someone who just built a custom car lol). Anyway I'm almost near the month mark when I ordered it so I called up asking him if there was any updates and he told me he has no information to report. I asked him if they at least accepted the order and he said they did not. He now changed his tune to saying accepting an order can take several months. I asked him if there were people ahead of me in their allotment, he dismissed that and said it all depends on when Chevy accepts the order which he doesn't know. I asked if anything I ordered may be on constraint, yet he just kept pivoting to we have no timeframe on how long they take to accept orders. I feel like several others are having more detailed conversations with their salespeople on the entire process - and here I am just being told "I don't know", which is frustrating when you're trying to buy a pretty expensive (at least for me) car. Does anyone have any tips, or maybe better questions to ask the next time I reach out (i'll probably wait another few weeks). Although I will say - I think I am going to start looking aggressively for an alternative option just hearing that even once the order is accepted, the "fun" part just beings.

OP
OP
F

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Figured i'd send an update since I decided to give the Chat option a try.

This is what I was told:

I have located your order XXXXX and can see that your vehicle is at the Event Description 2000 means Order Accepted. This status means that your order has been entered into the system and your dealer is waiting for allocation to match up with your place in line so that it can be submitted to GM. We would recommend speaking with your dealership to receive clarification as to when this may occur with your order as we do not have any additional information. We can provide you weekly email update once your order progress to 3400 status. Feel free to contact us back after 2 to 3 weeks to check if your order progress on the next status.

OP
OP
F

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I'm enjoying this conversation with myself! I looked at the order code my chat gave me and noticed on other posts it doesn't match what others have said. Decided to pick up the phone and call Chevy/GM. Turns out, the order was accepted by GM & I am not waiting for a TPW. I'd advise anyone to just call who's in my shoes. The guy said I likely jumped the info line that the dealer has yet to receive. Although he did admit that the communication this time with all the delays and constraints is not the best, he said it is easy to get bad info. Crazy rollercoaster of emotions for me.