Order to Delivery Timeframes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaycough

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can we get an update on order to delivery timeframes?

Thanks

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can we get an update on order to delivery timeframes?

Thanks

I was told 10-12 weeks by my dealer when I put an order in. They said this time frame because of Thanksgiving and Christmas shutdowns. We were told we should have our car middle to end of January -- and we're okay with that since we'll be on vacation late December/early January.

Off1c3r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just spoke with GMC the other day and they told me 6-12 weeks from order to delivery. One thing to keep in mind is dealership allocation. Your order can be sitting in queue for a while before GM even picks it up.

OP
OP
J

jaycough

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have new question-
How does GM determine which type of truck (suburban, Yukon ) is produced a certain week? Is it based on colors, options, delivery location? I assume sold orders are given priority, but then how does the production filter out?
Thanks

Off1c3r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have new question-
How does GM determine which type of truck (suburban, Yukon ) is produced a certain week? Is it based on colors, options, delivery location? I assume sold orders are given priority, but then how does the production filter out?
Thanks

Until someone chimes in with more experience, my understanding is due to the shifts and parts constraints, and in general the logistics for the initial production, only certain configurations were allowed. Now, with more freedom, it is based on the dealerships allocation. So while production can be steady, if your dealership is over their allocation, your order might be pushed into another month before GM accepts it. Also, specific part constraints (due to COVID-19) can pop up at any moment. LPOs that are constrained, that are sent to the dealership for installation, in most situations, shouldn't hold up production either. Again, just my basic understanding of the situation.

afishinado

Reaction score
I just ordered a new Z71 yesterday. I ordered it from a dealer here in South Dakota instead of SE Florida where the dealers are waaaay bigger and more plentiful. I'm was wondering if I made a mistake. I did it because the delivery times I have been seeing, brings it to the spring when I return from Florida... But they told me to expect 6 to 9 months. I really don't care, my 12 is still super. When it comes, I'll be ready.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a new Z71 yesterday. I ordered it from a dealer here in South Dakota instead of SE Florida where the dealers are waaaay bigger and more plentiful. I'm was wondering if I made a mistake. I did it because the delivery times I have been seeing, brings it to the spring when I return from Florida... But they told me to expect 6 to 9 months. I really don't care, my 12 is still super. When it comes, I'll be ready.

8-12 weeks would be fairly typical... 6+ months? that's not likely unless the dealer doesn't get allocations.

Reaction score

According to the GM Corporate Newsroom, as of December 3, 2020, the Arlington, TX plant is producing 1200 vehicles (Tahoes, Suburbans, Yukons and Escalades) a day. That's a lot of vehicles, but that's to meet worldwide production requirements too, but 6-9 months still seems like a long wait. I agree with "Toasty" in that your South Dakota dealer may not have the allocations.

I wonder if GM is wishing they kept the Janesville, Wisconsin plant open now with all the demand for this type of vehicle?? I've been seeing a lot more Police versions of the Tahoe around that also adds to their production schedule too. Then again, maybe it's just because of some of the great new model features that is driving up production numbers now and things will level out after the first year.

JMMDMD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We ordered a bit of an oddball combo (SLT XL 8 passenger) about 3 weeks ago. The order hasn't been picked up yet by GMC so there's no TBD. We live in a small town in Canada. The salesman acknowledged that they are waiting on allocation. I'm not in a huge rush for it, but how long can allocation take for smaller dealers? He mentioned something like there are only 16 SLT XL's slated in Canada. I don't really get what he means by that. Surely more than 16 Yulkon XL SLT's will make it over here!? There are 8 passenger Expeditions sitting on lots so at a certain point I may have to reconsider but I really don't want to go there. Any insight would be appreciated.

Mike Kurowski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered a Yukon XL AT4 8 weeks ago and still no target production date. It’s really frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Butterfly7