OR VietVet Is Still Throwing $$$ at 2005 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I doubt that I will ever tow with this Z71 of mine but I do like to push the limits of handling capabilities on a regular basis. I get a kick out of following or leading a performance car in to or out of a cloverleaf and being able to outmaneuver them or at least surprise them. Not just cloverleafs though. I like a trip to the coast and there are some winding roads that need to be conquered by a full size SUV. Besides, it's fun. At 68, that is what I look forward to.

It IS great fun running a sleeper through it’s paces and surprising someone who owns a performance car but doesn’t know how to drive it.

I have a great memory of the first encounter with a Dodge Challenger back when the new version first came out. He was a middle aged guy feeling his oats and tapping the accelerator at the red light. I was the guy in the next lane driving a boring soccer mom Grand Cherokee. I launched in AWD and it was all me for the first hundred yards or so, while he was roasting his tires. :D

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It IS great fun running a sleeper through it’s paces and surprising someone who owns a performance car but doesn’t know how to drive it.

I have a great memory of the first encounter with a Dodge Challenger back when the new version first came out. He was a middle aged guy feeling his oats and tapping the accelerator at the red light. I was the guy in the next lane driving a boring soccer mom Grand Cherokee. I launched in AWD and it was all me for the first hundred yards or so, while he was roasting his tires. :D

With the stock engine and running 3.42 gears, I am not gonna roast any tires but the handling is what I am looking for, for now. As a service manager I ran in to people that were always wanting more power but did not think about putting that power to the road. I tried many times, about 40% successfully, to talk them in to first setting up the suspension for the power they wanted. Power don't mean shit if the traction and handling isn't there. A step at a time. There will be a tune in the future at BBP.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know yet. I have just got the bars yesterday. Have not opened the boxes yet to see what is what. What settings are available? Help cue me in, thanks.

There are 3 different holes on the rear bar, if I remember correctly the inner hole is stiffer the outer is softer. I have mine in the middle but have considered going stiffer to see if I notice a difference or not.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I doubt that I will ever tow with this Z71 of mine but I do like to push the limits of handling capabilities on a regular basis. I get a kick out of following or leading a performance car in to or out of a cloverleaf and being able to outmaneuver them or at least surprise them. Not just cloverleafs though. I like a trip to the coast and there are some winding roads that need to be conquered by a full size SUV. Besides, it's fun. At 68, that is what I look forward to.

By the way, as I stated in either this thread or in another thread, my cousin is moving from Paradise, Ca. to Warrensburg, Mo. within approximately a year or so. Before she goes and severs my real last ties to Paradise, Ca., where I had some great times over the years, I plan on making a 4-5 day trip to see her there. If can, I will contact, if ok with you, and see about meeting up for a beer or meal and see if I can still get a schooner of beer at I think was the only bar in town at a crossroads in Innskip or Magalia? Or was it Toad Town? Clue me in, has been so many years since I been there.
I saw pics of Paradise before the fire, it looked BEAUTIFUL--looked like a great place to live.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are 3 different holes on the rear bar, if I remember correctly the inner hole is stiffer the outer is softer. I have mine in the middle but have considered going stiffer to see if I notice a difference or not.

Thanks for the heads up. I will start with the middle setting and see what happens. I can only assume that the softer setting is close to stock but maybe just a little stiffer. I may assume that the stiffer setting would be for when I get a tune done at BBP.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I saw pics of Paradise before the fire, it looked BEAUTIFUL--looked like a great place to live.

It was a very beautiful place to be. My relatives, grand parents, aunt and uncle and cousins loved it there. I spent a lot of time there and lived there for about 9 months after getting out of the service. Great times. It was not named Paradise because it was so beautiful though. It was originally called Pair of Dice and was an old gold mining town. One of the largest gold nuggets ever mined came from that area. They had a yearly town celebration called Gold Nugget Days that was a blast to be at. We used to line up for the parade and had a keg of Coors tapped in the back of the pickup truck we were in. Way back then, the cops that worked the event would sip beer thru the parade route, it was offered up as they went by people with tapped kegs. I don't think it will ever come completely back and my cousin has had enough of the taxes and the governments that have been in power. My cousin is pretty calm and collected and kind of shy but when she is asked about the government and taxes, she goes off like you would not believe and cusses like a sailor with a hammer smashed finger. She gets all red in the face too.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It was a very beautiful place to be. My relatives, grand parents, aunt and uncle and cousins loved it there. I spent a lot of time there and lived there for about 9 months after getting out of the service. Great times. It was not named Paradise because it was so beautiful though. It was originally called Pair of Dice and was an old gold mining town. One of the largest gold nuggets ever mined came from that area. They had a yearly town celebration called Gold Nugget Days that was a blast to be at. We used to line up for the parade and had a keg of Coors tapped in the back of the pickup truck we were in. Way back then, the cops that worked the event would sip beer thru the parade route, it was offered up as they went by people with tapped kegs. I don't think it will ever come completely back and my cousin has had enough of the taxes and the governments that have been in power. My cousin is pretty calm and collected and kind of shy but when she is asked about the government and taxes, she goes off like you would not believe and cusses like a sailor with a hammer smashed finger. She gets all red in the face too.
That's usually how it happens--dumb, greedy politicians take over and ruin things. I never heard it was "Pair Of Dice". Pretty cool to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia