Opinions on JBA headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short:

Install headers if you dig the sound, are adding a blower, and/or your stock manifolds are truly rusted out and you found a screamin’ deal on long tube or shorties. Otherwise, most will find that the performance gain simply ain’t worth the $$

YMMV

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone make and mid-length headers? Seems it would be a good compromise.

They actually are better on a mildly modded street truck because they retain more low end than the long tubes. I like the Doug Thorley Tri-Y design.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I still want to give these a shot at some point in the future when I have the extra cheddar (that's money @Sidious999 ... lol).

I am a numbers kinda guy and the independent dyno numbers show a definite improvement in mid range power which is what I am most interested in.

If the tests were done by the manufacturer I would be more skeptical.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I think I found a good deal on these headers but I don't want to jinx it so I will tell you guys more after I finalize everything.

But I do have some questions for you header gurus.

What header bolts do you recommend?

I know ARP are popular and of good quality but I was thinking about some locking bolts like the Stage 8 locking bolts...

Part # 868-8900

Any thoughts?

Also what header gaskets do you prefer???

@Rocket Man @Tonyrodz and anyone else with header experience.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used the stage 8 bolts on other vehicles and probably what I’ll go with again. Don’t cost an arm and a leg and keep things tight. Fiddly as hell to install though.

Those arp studs seem great too but that’s far too much for me to spend on some bolts.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Ok... so as promised I will do as the great Paul Harvey and give you.... the rest of the story.

So as you all know I have been looking at these headers for a while. I haven't really wanted to spend the money on them, so I have been looking for the right deal.

Well the other day, for kicks and giggles I searched for them on a nationwide CL search engine and found a brand new set.

Not only did I find the right headers but they were also in the exact finish I was wanting, the titanium ceramic finish.

The guy was in Cali and had bought them for his '07 Tahoe and then never put them on before trading the truck in.

Anyway, after contacting him and chatting on the phone we worked out a deal and he shipped them out today. They should arrive Monday.

New these headers run $500+ for the ceramic coated version. These are 409 series stainless steel with the ceramic coating.

I contacted JBA and asked if they are coated inside and out and the guy told me they are coated inside as far as the wand will reach. Since these are shorties, I assume that they are probably coated the majority of the way inside.

The guy had these in his garage for several years and lost the gaskets and bolts they come with. I was ok with that because I wasn't planning on using the hardware they send anyway.
rps20190115_193139_958.jpg rps20190115_193212_197.jpg rps20190115_193251_324.jpg rps20190115_193326_072.jpg

Long story short, the guy was asking $400. After some dickering I got him down to $275.

So I have $275 in the headers + $8.28 PayPal fees + $39 shipping (which includes $400 insurance) +
$30 for stage 8 locking bolts + $55 for all the gaskets (Header, left and right flange to pipes).

That makes for a grand total of $407.28 which is still about $100 cheaper than buying new and I still wouldn't have the better gaskets and quality locking bolts.

All an all I am pretty excited about it. I know lots of guys frown on shorties. And that's fine. To be honest I have never had a set of headers before so this will be a learning experience for me.

I may find out that all of the long tube fan guys are correct and there may be no noticeable improvement in power or MPG or anything other than looks.

If, on the other hand, there is any truth in the numbers of the 3 different dyno tests I have seen done on these headers than I think it will be worthwhile.

Of course I will keep you all updated on the progress of getting them installed (looks like my son and brother are gonna be busy... lol) and what my assessment is of them after I have a chance to drive it for a bit.

If any of you header guys have any better recommendations for the bolts or gaskets please speak up before I order them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just saw this--I had good luck with the Fel Pro gaskets. Still holding strong. I don't remember what header bolts I got, but they were stainless--obviously--and I used stainless lock washers with them. So far, so good. I used regular plug wires and even with the metal heat shields my wires burned. I had to buy Taylor racing wires--along with those header heat socks to keep them safe. Socks aren't that great as one burned through, but I caught it before the wire burned. Imo, you'll probably need shorter boots on the plugs to keep them from burning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645