Opinions of code reader and ground spongey mats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Wanted opinions on the Ancel AD530 scan tool if anyone has one and has used it on their rigs.

The foam mats are basically 4' x 8' and are 7mm thick. I bought 3 of them to lay on under rigs at home. Since I retired, I am bored and instead of finding a part time job I have decided to work on what I want to work on at home in the driveway. $50 an hour and I choose whether I work on it or not and when I work on it. The landlord says he is ok with it. I also set up one of these:

I have it set up just outside the garage entrance and is plenty big. I can even pull the girlfriend's 90 K2500 extended cab long bed with a topper on it and still has lots of room on each end and sides.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I saw some decent reviews about what the code reader does. It will be my generic one for rigs I will work on here. The pads I bought were to just share with members to use under rigs instead of cardboard. I used one pad yesterday to lay on under my girls 90 K2500 to check for driveline noise that just turned out to be gear lash. Since we live together now, she is learning to pay better attention to noises in/on her 2 rigs. That is a good thing. She will keep me busy but I know the 90 K2500 inside and out. Her new to her 04 Tacoma is a solid truck. She does a real good job of anticipating when I could use a cold beer when I am working on any rigs. She's a keeper.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Wanted opinions on the Ancel AD530 scan tool if anyone has one and has used it on their rigs.

The foam mats are basically 4' x 8' and are 7mm thick. I bought 3 of them to lay on under rigs at home. Since I retired, I am bored and instead of finding a part time job I have decided to work on what I want to work on at home in the driveway. $50 an hour and I choose whether I work on it or not and when I work on it. The landlord says he is ok with it. I also set up one of these:

I have it set up just outside the garage entrance and is plenty big. I can even pull the girlfriend's 90 K2500 extended cab long bed with a topper on it and still has lots of room on each end and sides.
Seems like a good scan tool at a good price. If it was me I'd get something that could read abs and srs codes. Might as well, right?
As for the canopy--just curious--what if you're outside working and it starts to rain? Does it come with attachable sides so you'd keep dry? If not you could always buy some large tarps from HF and attach them to the sides with some large clips. You'd definitely keep nice and dry, and be able to finish up whatever you're working on.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 10'x20' fully enclosed Shelter Logic enclosure made with 21 gauge PVC that houses my rig, and it has easily withstood my NH winters' snow loads.

I fully recommend this brand.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Seems like a good scan tool at a good price. If it was me I'd get something that could read abs and srs codes. Might as well, right?
As for the canopy--just curious--what if you're outside working and it starts to rain? Does it come with attachable sides so you'd keep dry? If not you could always buy some large tarps from HF and attach them to the sides with some large clips. You'd definitely keep nice and dry, and be able to finish up whatever you're working on.
Thanks for the thumbs up @Joseph Garcia about the Shelter Logic brand. @Tonyrodz, around here, when it rains, it tends to just come straight down. We hardly ever get rain that comes sideways. My girl has gobs of tarps around here and could be added if need be. I will work on what I want when I want and if I don't want to work outside while raining, then that is how it goes. I also could have spent the extra money on an ABS capable reader but decided against it because of the low percentage of vehicles that could come with that problem. I am not advertising my work. It will be word of mouth and I will screen any possibility of work before agreeing to do it.

For example: Member at the AL post I belong to has a 2003 Ford Escape. About a month ago had a new fuel pump installed at a local shop. He asked me why after the pump was replaced that he gets a low fuel light come on and he fills but the tank will only take about 8 to 9 gallons of fuel in a 16 gallon tank. I asked lots of questions and found that he had no low fuel warning light problems with the old fuel pump, the only problem was that the pump just quit. IMO, that means a cheap low quality fuel pump was installed. The shop charged him $800+ for the replacement. That included diagnostics and replacement of the fuel pump relay. The fuel pump access is under the rear seat. The bottom pops up easily and folds out of the way. 4 screws and the access cover is out of the way and then the lock down unscrews for the pump removal. 2 hours tops. I tried to order an OE fuel pump at RA but the best I could do was a Bosch pump. It is here and will be installed tomorrow. Even if I doubled the cost of the pump and relay and charged $100 an hour on labor, the cost would be less than $600. I don't charge anything for parts but will charge for my time to go get but I ordered the pump and new relay at RA. I don't trust that they did replace the relay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros