ooops broke vapor canister help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdurham1974

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I kinda over looked one hose while dropping my fuel tank to replace fuel pump turns out I broke the hose nipple off the Vapor canister. New these are like $160 on ebay dont have the cash after shelling out 216 for the fule pump. So i went looking at the salvage yards and even thougfh I see out trucks every where here in UT no luck finding Any notta zip zilch zero in the salvage yards. I even did a check on pick n pulls national website the newest they have is a 99 no good I need a 2000 to 2003 Yuk or hoe no denalies. So question #1 any one have one laying around theyd like to sell? #2 would it be ok to finish fuel pump instal and use the truck with this hose not connecte dto the vapoir box? any help and advise appreciated.
Thanks
HD

WickedGoat

Reaction score
You can put the tank back up and run with it for the time being. I am guilty of breaking one of those lines too... Didn't realize the box had to come down when dropping the tank... The CEL may or may not come on for and evap system leak...

1LoudHoe

Reaction score
damn im wandering if thats the issue with mine..
i had a friend change my pump and ever since i've had a CEL.
truck runs great but its time for emissions right now and i gotta get it done to get my updated tag.

i know he didnt remove any box when he dropped the tank.
i checked the code and it says evap system leak, p0440
can you tell me where to locate this box? i see the pic here

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_02223_1371620_1653&pt=02223&ppt=C0018

i was getting ready to buy the egr, this box and the vapor canister purge valve but if i can just purchase this box and save money i will.

OP
OP
H

hdurham1974

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
good to know i can run with out it for the time being. thanks look near the front of the tank between tank and drive shaft. reach around the front of it you should have 3 hoses going to it.

1LoudHoe

Reaction score
ok thanks.
whats the rectangle box at the back of the fuel tank? i take it thats the Vapor Canister Check Valve? b/c thats what it looks like...
im not sure if that needs to be replaced.

i was told if i have a p0440 its one of 3 or 3 of these:

The gas cap is not installed or working properly
The purge solenoid has failed
The canister is plugged and not working properly

luckily none of this stuff is expensive other than the canister, but i found it online for $91 vs 180 at the store locally. i replaced the gas cap yesterday, ordered the purge solenoid today and will figure out where its at so i can replace it. then if the check engine light comes back on i'll replace the canister.

my truck is 10 years old anyways so i'll go ahead and replace it soon. i'm doing the 6.0 swap in September.

OP
OP
H

hdurham1974

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes the one at the back of the tank is the purge valve I was getting that code aswell before my pump died

1LoudHoe

Reaction score
mine just ended up being the gas cap. replaced it. drove 65 miles got my emissions and passed!

Nappers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one. I fixed mine with "Plastic" epoxy. Lucky it broke below where the clip goes and put a toothpick in the hole to prevent the line from getting epoxy in it. It wasn't pretty but it worked and the line snapped on and I turned the light off with my scanner.

cjb4588

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i just did the same thing last night, tried to start it and my 03 escalade started pissing fuel from the line that i couldn't reconnect to the evap cannister. gotta get some gorilla glue and take care of her when i get home today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick