Onstar vs Cell Phone Pairing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
Trying to figure out Onstar and how much of a must have it is.

1. How much functionality do you lose in the new Tahoe without it?
2. If your phone is paired/plugged in will it provide your Tahoe the same internet as Onstar for Nav/traffic and updates?
3. Is there a way to do better than $25 a month? I would consider $5/mo for basic google map updates or car updates but not much more.
4. Does Apple Play totally negate the need for Onstar?

Thanks.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I saw there was a plan for $11 which allows for the in-dash and apps to work but I’m having trouble locating that now.

Also remember if you buy a brand new one OnStar is baked into the cost of the vehicle for the first year or so.

On my 2021 with the older system, my phones hotspot will connect fine to run the infotainment system but I don’t normally do that. Apple CarPlay for me drives everything I need on it.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can read here about the connected vehicle/services stuff:

"App Access" plan includes the stuff on the infotainment system (Google Maps, Google Assistant, Access to Google Play store, etc) and maybe the WiFi hotspot but the website is a bit unclear on this.
"Remote Access" plan includes the stuff on the My<Brand> App on your smartphone (door lock/unlock, flash lights, locate vehicle, vehicle status, etc)

"App Access" appears to cost $11.99/month
"Remote Access" appears to cost $11.99/month

You can bundle these two into "Connected Vehicle" for $22.99/month. This appears to include the WiFi hotspot as well.

There appear to be discounts for a paying a year in advance (Seems to be about 12 months for the price of 10 or 11).

Then, if you also want to keep the OnStar suite of Safety and Security services (the stuff you get when you push the blue OnStar Button), from what I gather here about those services:
You also need to add in the appropriate
Connected Vehicle, Safety and Security, Essentials, or Premium
Pricing shown.

Note, this overlaps w/ the info about about App Access + Remote Access, which implies there is a discount for connected vehicle...

Now, as for what you could do if you let it all go and connected to your phone's hotspot...that one is a bit more unclear...someone said it does work to support the infotainment unit's data needs. But...if you are going to let it all go, I would think at that point, just go with using CarPlay or Android Auto and yoru infotainment system becomes an integrated display, and not much more.

I also am a bit curious how well the SiriusXM experience is if you don't have a data connection...as I think some of that function is pushed to the cellular connection, based on what I can see; because there are channels/channel numbers not available in my wife's Honda Sirius XM tuner that is a vehicle that is not a "connected vehicle".

Perhaps someone w/ an expired trial can comment...my trial was for 3 years on the Connected Vehicle and Data. 3 Months on the OnStar, which I have renewed to Safety and Security.

Here is a screen snap of what my GMC account looks like for my vehicle (with appropriate redactions):
1669754361380.png

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing to note. If you qualify for a GM Supplier Discount, OnStar does offer discounts as well for that.

I qualify for that and they put me on a deal of $15 for the unlimited hotspot which is nice since I have two kids who like to stream stuff on their tablets in the car (that hotspot does allow for the apps to function).

I was fortunate to use that discount to buy my ‘21 Tahoe but I’ve heard dealers might not honor that now due to how hard it is to get vehicles in.

Related to the SiriusXM experience it mostly uses satellite however they do have some steaming only channels such as 705 and 715 which do work with hotspot access. I’ve noticed the quality of the streaming channels are a little better vs the satellite channels.

OP
OP
W

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
What is the standard free/trial period for a new 2022 Tahoe? I have seen as short as one month to as long as a year or more.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just chalk it up to the price of enjoying the vehicle. I'm in it every day, live in a high traffic area, and am not a fan of AA or ACP monopolizing my system. I've wasted money on worse things. Helps me enjoy the vehicle I bought. OnStar saved my neck during Hurricane IAN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts