Onstar 3G/4G question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tquick67675

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a rip off for them to charge us for something that we thought was already there. The wi-fi hotspot was one of the reasons I purchased my 2015 Yukon. The salesman said it was already on there and after I purchased it, I find out it is not there and if I want it it now I have to $500 for it.....I am so mad

Yep, they got me too! I was also told that an update would come for the Intellilink to make it app capable and have heard that isn't true as well. My vehicle is a Co Vehicle and two others execs bought theirs on the same understanding. Starting a letter writing campaign. Probably won't do a lot of good...

Terrell2014

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the cost of the data plan for these in vehicle offerings is pretty steep. Limited data and high cost. I use my verizon hotspot my company gives me (unlimited data). On a side note, I too was told my GMC 2015 Yukon SLE had this feature, and well, ummmm shocked sales guy was like Oh? Really, I um- yeah, Hey, Lift gate button. Look at that.

They are WORTHLESS

Anon2015

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I believe the Wifi hotspot was always advertised as "late availability". Sadly, many salesman don't know enough about the vehicles they sell. "

That may not entirely be the salesman's problem. First GM says "in the 2015 model year OnStar goes to AT&T". Second, and some what later, they say late availability for 4G LTE. Meanwhile, the accessories book "May 2014" has a WiFi accessory (no mention of 3G or 4G) for 2015 Yukons. The Order Workbench also had a WiFi option for 2015 Yukons. If one tried to order it, the order was rejected "because they were not available but the kit could be ordered later". OnStar (in writing) was telling those who'd care to ask, that it would certainly be possible to add 4G LTE to the early '15s once the module became available. In the end, it wasn't until late April when dealers starting getting their training the misinformation from GM, production, parts, and OnStar was corrected.

In defense of the sales person (and a consumer), if you have a WiFi accessory for a 2015 vehicle on the Order Workbench, in the accessories catalog and the online accessories listing, AND you're saying WiFi 4G LTE in 2015 models, what kind of assumptions are salespeople going to make. (Yeah, I know about the Ass-U-Me saying.)

Now for Tquick67675...really bad news dude. If your AT&T mobile (cellular) service is an individual or family account...no problem. You can add the data service to your current AT&T pricing and share plan. If however you have a business account, you're in deep dodo. AT&T will not add the 4G LTE in your GM vehicle to your business account. (rather silly don't you think?) If you start to consider the business uses for WiFi in your trucks it's really a poor move on AT&T's part. (Someone in AT&T 'suggested' this was due to an incompatibility in their billing systems. I guess they don't pay attention to their own press releases giving them an 18 month lead time to address those problems.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SRobinson541