One tire rubbing even with leveled suspension - Possible caster alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Livewire18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe Z71 and I recently changed my shocks and struts to the Bilstein 5100's with ride height adjust up front. I did use the factory springs and all hardware for struts. I placed the front struts at their highest setting which almost perfectly leveled the front and back. It raised the front about 1.5 inches from stock. I also replaced the factory 265/65/18 tires with Hankook DynaPro AT/M 275/65/18 tires. The new tires are only 1/2 inch taller, and 1/2 wider than originals, but I am getting some rubbing. Odd thing is that it is only on the passender right front tire and I have the wheels at full left lock. The is rubbing on the outer edge of the tread on the front wheel well. Left side I have almost 1/2 of clearance. Could this be due to a positive caster alignment issue? I am going to taking the tahoe in for an alignment this week (due to new struts and all) and am hoping this will get fixed so I don't have to chop the plastic in the wheel well.

Side note: Does anyone know where to get the bilstein strut nut tool? I spents almost an hour trying to tighten them with a wrench and vise grips, and still not sure if they are tight enough. Its a 15mm nut and the strut top is just under 1/4 inch.

EDIT: I just found this tool, and am wondering if it will work on my Tahoe to tighten the strut nut?
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20400-Universal-Shock-Absorber/dp/B000CO88C6
41ZeR2sjFRL.jpg

Last edited:

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
They make generic strut tools to tighten the nut while preventing the shaft from spinning. That tool might fit but I've always used a small wrench or vice wrench to hold it from spinning. Take a look at this picture for trimming the inner fender support and pull the liner forward to give plenty of clearance. But it does sound like a caster issue so have to ask but was it aligned after lifting and installing new struts?
Bumper%20Bracket_zpsrbusl44i.jpg

OP
OP
Livewire18

Livewire18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
01Konvict, thanks for the info. I just got the struts on this past Saturday (2 days ago). I have not had it aligned yet as I want to give everything a couple days to settle before taking in for alignment (in case there were issues).

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Get it aligned and you won't have any issues on clearing. If you get bigger tires then start trimming.

OP
OP
Livewire18

Livewire18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im gonna try to get it scheduled to do alignment at dealership this weekend. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the thoughts and if anyone has anything else to suggest, i am open for idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879