On board air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I wasn't sure the best forum for this - I figured the street suspension would be the closest.

I'm looking to add on-board air to my Denali XL. I'm tired of waiting 30-45 min pumping up my tires with a portable unit after the beach. Has any one done this?

I'm either looking to get a kit or build using components. I have a small 2 gal shop compressor - it looks to fit in the driver quarter panel. A 2.5 gal should fit easily.

I couldn't help to come across train horns - I was thinking of one of the Hornblaster kits.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could easily run 1-3 gallon tank, a small viair compressor with a pressure switch, and a coupler mounted in the rear. Then whenever you need air you can plug in the airline and fill tires, cb4 once your done your tank would refill and be ready.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM minivans had an onboard air compressor for their shocks that also had a fititng and power button in the back to fill bicycle tires, footballs, etc. It came with a long hose with an air gauge and could fill every tire. I considered fitting this system to my Yukon but it was much simpler to get the GM Portable Air Compressor and Tire Sealer that came with the Hybrids, fits in that compartment on the left in back.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
From what I've seen from the 4WD sites, the best bet is
1. engine driven compressor (york)
2. scuba tank
3. high CFM compressor

York, or repurposed AC compressor, sound't too complicated, but gives nearly endless supply of high CFM air.

I have a tank, would need a a regulator. But I'd rather not have that in the vehicle.

I like the idea of the on-board air kit. I can air up the tank on the drive off the beach. The other plus is adding the toy of train horns.

Has anyone used Vixen horns vs hornblasters? The Vixen kits are drastically cheaper.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the compressor/tank setup on two of my previous vehicles.... was cool but I ran into situations where I wish it was portable.

Now I use the VIAIR-400P Automatic. Airs my 33s up quick, throw it in my other vehicles with a tire plug kit for road trips, and can be used for other random things as long as as battery is nearby (or a jump box)

The engine run compressors are popular for running air tools, but that's honestly a 15-20 year outdated feature. Any trail ride I'm on most everyone (including me) is equipped with 18 or 20v power tools.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
I have a Harbor Freight portable unit. It's the decent one that hooks to the battery terminals. The specs were similar to the cheaper Viair's but I could get an extended warranty.

I'm laughing at myself. I don't want to spend $200 on this portable compressor when there are $50 units - but looking at a $500 on board air kit. The idea of the train horns is bringing out my inner child!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19

Latest posts