Oil leak ...great.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Cavan806

Cavan806

Reaction score
Honestly I have no clue. Loose oil filter is my first guess. I am actually at work right now and cant really dig around down there like I want to. With that much oil sprayed around down there I am hoping that is the case.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
I have a similar looking leak in my (recently purchased) 09 Suburban 6.0L, and I think it's coming from the pan gasket, since it's coming from too far up to be the filter or drain plug. I haven't had it up on a lift yet to check it out, and it certainly doesn't help that this engine has a massive, oddly shaped pan with 50 bolts and the front diff obstructs half of them...

Perhaps PO or PO's mechanic dropped the pan for cleaning and didn't torque it up correctly/didn't replace the gasket, or maybe with 100k+ miles it was simply the gasket's time to go. My truck currently has 117k miles, I bought it with 115.5k.

I crawled under the truck and cleaned it up well so the leak location would be more apparent. 2 weeks and a few hundred miles later, I checked it today and didn't see any new oil, but I suspect it's still leaking.. just very, very slowly.

How is your oil pressure/level? My pressure is fine and over the 1500 miles I've driven, the dipstick has shown the same amount, so at least it's not losing a noticeable amount.

When I get a chance I am going to get underneath and tighten up all the oil pan bolts I can find and switch it over to a synthetic or synthetic blend for 1000 miles or so to see if the leak increases. I'll keep you updated.

Gurrzt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
California - where GOD and the sun always shines
A lot of times if the old oil filter gasket is separated from the filter and left on the engine, this can cause a leak. Also the new oil filter gasket should be lubricated with a fine coat of oil before installing. The filter itself should only be hand tightened down + 1/4 turn.

If your engine is the 6.2L you may consider using the longer AC Delco PF63 filter, it will give you an extra 1/2 qt. capacity.

millerladam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I second Gurrzt but agree with MichaelSE as well that it could be the oil pan gasket. How many miles are on your rig? If you are close to 100k or more and have never done the engine oil pan gasket, I would drop it, check for any metal particles, clean the pan really well inside and out and then replace the gasket and torque everything to factory specs. Its better to be safe than sorry. Assuming you have a 5.3L, my wholesale cost for an AC Delco engine oil pan gasket is $47.13 part number 12612350. In my area O'Reilly sells the FelPro gasket for $49.

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the removable support underneath the oil pan, its actually an easy gasket to change on this truck compared to most.

Addicted

Reaction score
I had pretty significant leakage, and snugging up the pan bolts did help. Not fixed, but slowed significantly. I suppose I should order a pan gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil pan gasket is a common issue with these as is the oil filter not being tightened up tight enough

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n