Offroad parts suggestions? Whats needed to be beefed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Livewire18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would love to put a nice 4in lift, but I don't want to be forced into large tires yet due to mpg. But, I am wondering what are some weak spots on the Tahoes? What should I be looking to upgrade/replace before I start taking on the trails to much?

I have a 2007 Z71 Tahoe w/ 3LT package. I have had it for about 3 years now am finally putting work into it. I have just ordered the Billstein 5100's for front/rear with height adjustment. The front will get pushed up just a bit. I have also ordered Hankook Dynapro ATM's. I have used my 'hoe for storm chasing the last few years so I already have HAM and CB setups. I have moved recently, and am going to be taking it off-road a bit more. Most of the trails will only be 2-3 stars TOPs. I will be not (yet lol) be going on diamonds or large rocks as this is my daily driver also.

So, what are your thoughts?

I have already looked at the Moog UAC's and balljoints. I have already replaced the sway-bar links last year. I do have the rear locker, is there anything I do to help it hold up longer (besides replacing it of course).

Last edited:

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Not many options on 4" kits but for your off road adventures then I would go with rancho 4" kit that really measure 5.5"

OP
OP
Livewire18

Livewire18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not many options on 4" kits but for your off road adventures then I would go with rancho 4" kit that really measure 5.5"

Thanks for the info. I think for now, I would like to keep it near stock height. My 7 year old twins already have enough trouble getting in. :).

I will be leveling it with the 5100's though, but wondering what other parts I should upgrade for the trails?

I have not looked lately, so I can't remember, but do the 07 Z71 Tahoe's come with factory skid plates?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
In terms of fuel mileage, when I put 35's on the Silverado and tuned it, I had zero MPG change from the stock tires. Still cranks out around 17-18mpg highway, so I wouldn't let that affect your decisions.

OP
OP
Livewire18

Livewire18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
stock height then get level kit, usually 2.5/1 F/R

Thanks for the info. I have already ordered the bilstein 5100's with heigh adjust for front. I will likely stick with this until I get the money/time to do a full suspension lift.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what a 2-3 star trail rating is. The tie rods are a week link and IMO Bilstein 5100s are not that stout. Search for Bilstein 5100 broken strut. Rough Country makes upgraded tie rod sleeves.

Uniball UCAs are better than just Moogs. Icon, Total Chaos and Camburg offer upgraded UCAs. They also offer extended length coil overs. I have the Icon coilovers/suspension and Total Chaos on another rig and they are awesome. Here is a picture of that setup on my FJ.

IMG_1698_zpsadxhqswj.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1698_zpsadxhqswj.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1698_zpsadxhqswj.jpg
    IMG_1698_zpsadxhqswj.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
Livewire18

Livewire18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Zed71, Nice looking setup there. I have looked at the Chaos UCA's, but after dropping $1000 on camera equipment and another $1000 on shocks, struts, tires, etc, I can't fit them in the budget right now. I will keep those in mind.

As far as the tie rods. Are their any "beefier" ones other than stock? I am not finding any right off the bad.

Regarding the 5100's breaking. I can't find any references for this on the Tahoes, but more on the Tundras and Rams. Most of them we due to spacers at the top of the strut causing weird flexing. But I will keep this in mind and do some more research.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ready Lift has heavy duty tie rods (steering kit) and Rough Country has sleeves.

As far as Bilstein 5100s the bottom shafts are prone to bending when wheeled hard. Compared to other aftermarket coilovers that part is relatively thin. We have a few folks that have bent them on lighter rigs so I am leery of these on heavy SUVs like the Tahoe.

OP
OP
Livewire18

Livewire18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I went with the Bilstein 5100's and ride hight adjust. So far so good, except my new tires are rubbing only on the front right though. I started a separate thread for that though. (here). But, for anyone that is looking in the future, YES they do fit the 07 Tahoe Z71, and yes, I did get about 1.5 inch lift at their highest setting. So, right now the front and back are both sitting at 38 inches at center of wheel well. I will likely be adding a .75 or a 1 inch spacer to the rear just to bring it slightly up for when i tow a boat. The next upgrade will be the UCA's (likely Total Chaos) and also the heavy duty tie rods. I will not be doing hard-core wheeling any time soon, just replacing some worn parts with better ones (now that i am over 100k miles).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv