OEM Head Unit Problem HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TylerHagerdorn
Reaction score
the "bose" radio's have extra output pins that send the signal to turn on the separate Bose amp, they will use the same harness as a non bose radio.
so when you installed the non bose radio it did not have the output to turn on the amp, even though the plug is the same
next time you go to the junkyard look at the harness on a non bose vehicle and then look at a bose equipped vehicle and you will see the plug is the same but the bose equipped plug will have more wires/pins occupied on the connector.
I have a connector from a Bose and a non Bose truck. They have the same wires and colors and number of wires. What I'm saying is how does a cavalier radio work in a truck with Bose? That doesn't make sense to me if two of the radios I bought came from trucks without Bose and they don't work, but a cavalier radio works in a Bose truck. The only thing I could think was the sound chip or something was bad in it, but thats highly unlikely.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a connector from a Bose and a non Bose truck. They have the same wires and colors and number of wires. What I'm saying is how does a cavalier radio work in a truck with Bose? That doesn't make sense to me if two of the radios I bought came from trucks without Bose and they don't work, but a cavalier radio works in a Bose truck. The only thing I could think was the sound chip or something was bad in it, but thats highly unlikely.
if the wires are the same then the signal to turn on the bose amp is digital from the radio, so in a sense yes it is a chip, that's why if you go to a aftermarket headunit and have bose it requires a adapter module and that module will send the signal to turn on the bose amp and retain rap, without bose you can just use a cheap wire adapter but you loose rap, because rap is provided by another chip in the radio. If you have rse that is another thing provided by the radio and also requires a adapter if you go aftermarket.

OP
OP
TylerHagerdorn
Reaction score
if the wires are the same then the signal to turn on the bose amp is digital from the radio, so in a sense yes it is a chip, that's why if you go to a aftermarket headunit and have bose it requires a adapter module and that module will send the signal to turn on the bose amp and retain rap, without bose you can just use a cheap wire adapter but you loose rap, because rap is provided by another chip in the radio. If you have rse that is another thing provided by the radio and also requires a adapter if you go aftermarket.
Yes I know all about the aftermarket stuff. It's ridiculous how expensive it costs to put an aftermarket radio in these trucks. You still need an interface module even if it's not Bose to retain OnStar and the chimes and all that. If you have an older truck 99-02 you can use the cheaper harness but 03-06 you need the expensive interface. I prefer stock anyways I have tons of CDs and cassettes I use. My factory 6 disc is broken which is why I went junkyard hunting for a single CD radio because they are more reliable and I think look better. And since the radios need programmed to the vehicle I think that's what makes the sound happen in a Bose vehicle with a non Bose radio. I've taken the eeprom chip out of one and it works but doesn't retain audio settings which is annoying but I'll probably just wait til taxes done back and I'll buy one and have it programmed at my local dealer. If I go aftermarket I want android auto but I'm not about spending 160$ on an interface plus 300 plus on a radio it's ridiculous. My 15$ fm transmitter I bought 7 years ago works just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n