Odd noise upon remote start - with video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buckfutter

Reaction score
i noticed a weird noise after using the remote start on my new to me 2019 Yukon. I haven’t noticed this noise when I start it regularly… almost sounds like the starter is not disengaging fast enough. Only does it on remote start when cold…. Thoughts?

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you experienced this sound too?

I should add, 23k on the clock and I have had the AFM disabler in it since I bought it 1000 miles ago.
Yes. You are still under powertrain warranty so get to your dealer. Remove the disabler first. You might have to leave it for a day or to replicate the sound, also videos help, make sure your license plate is in the video before starting. This worked for me when they couldn't replicate the problem.

D--k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i noticed a weird noise after using the remote start on my new to me 2019 Yukon. I haven’t noticed this noise when I start it regularly… almost sounds like the starter is not disengaging fast enough. Only does it on remote start when cold…. Thoughts?

I'm experiencing this same issue with a 2011 yukon. I haven't discovered and answer... wrecking my head as to what occurs differently upon remote use vs key starting the vehicle.
Will follow, and post if I find a cause...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sounds like a heat shield or something to that effect is rattling for a second to me. Are you 100% sure it does not do it when key starting and it is cold out?
I would also look with a flashlight on both sides of the engine where the exhaust manifolds are and look for any missing bolts on the exhaust manifolds and the heat shields attached to them. if one is missing, loose or broken off you will hear this kind of sound on a cold start and the heat produced by the engine will then expand whatever is loose and the noise will stop this CAN happen literally instantly or within seconds.
never heard of the vvt making noise like that before but if it is a thing so be it, but after being around a long time that's new one to me.
to add on to that, presuming it was the vvt making noise there is no logical reason for it to do it on a autostart and not do it by turning the key in the ignition
correct me if that is not logical....

OP
OP
B

Buckfutter

Reaction score
VVT issue also seemed odd to me, but I am new to these things - never had a VVT vehicle before. I will try a cold start via push button here soon and see if it makes the same sound. The last few cold starts I have done via push button have not, but maybe it’s just because I didn’t hear it because of the doors being closed. I’m actually parked in a parking garage now so with the doors open I should be able to hear it.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like something fluid is pressuring upon startup. Kind of like the older power steering pumps. I know these are electric. But, they have a vacuum pump, or maybe trans related with the torque converter building pressure?

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes the same exact noise. Never been concerned about it for the last two years of ownership - but this thread is making me question it now.