Odd Noise Avalanche and Tahoe.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am posting this in the Avalanche section, but I had the exact same issue in my 01 Tahoe.

So my current '11 Avalanche seems to have this weird tapping/knocking sound. It is very hard to describe. It seems like it is coming from the passenger side near the B or C pillar. The best way that I can describe what I am hearing is as if there was a bolt in a hole and the bolt was too small so it was just kind of rocking/shaking around in said hole. It does not do it all the time. On the way in to work this morning, I would only hear it between 45 and 50 mph. Does not do it all the time. Does not seem the change with road conditions (it will make the noise with or without bumps in the road).

I have been under the truck looking for just anything loose and I turned up empty handed. The noise is not very loud, but I can hear it barely over my radio at normal listening volumes.

Please tell me someone on here is having this same issue. I figured that since my last 2 vehicles have done the same thing, maybe someone else has experienced it and found where the sound is coming from.

HELP!!!

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried getting a video, but the road noise drowns out the sound and you can't hear it...Sounds like I may just have to deal with it

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried getting a video, but the road noise drowns out the sound and you can't hear it...Sounds like I may just have to deal with it
Habe you checked the exhaust system? A broken hanger can make a noise and sometimes the muffler, get under it give it a good bang and shake from different angles

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Habe you checked the exhaust system? A broken hanger can make a noise and sometimes the muffler, get under it give it a good bang and shake from different angles
I did not see anything obvious from underneath. I will get under it again and try hitting and shaking a few things. It just seems odd that it did the exact same thing in my Tahoe before I sold it. Thought it might be a common thing

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not see anything obvious from underneath. I will get under it again and try hitting and shaking a few things. It just seems odd that it did the exact same thing in my Tahoe before I sold it. Thought it might be a common thing
I have had mine do it before, figured it's worth a try, could also be a catalytic converter (maybe)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons