Not the Tahoe, but need to rant.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IQ tests should be given before you are allowed to use an impact gun.
Planned on doing brakes and stub shaft u joints today on the f150. My lug nuts said that is a hard no. Last place they were loose was the tire shop when i had new fronts installed.
A 4 foot pipe on my tire iron wouldnt budge them. Sooooo, taking it back after the holiday weekend for them to do. So if they snap the studs off, its on their ignorant *****. Like wtf would i do if i got a flat?
The place I go is usually real good, so maybe it was a new guy. But still frustrating.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
IQ tests should be given before you are allowed to use an impact gun.
Planned on doing brakes and stub shaft u joints today on the f150. My lug nuts said that is a hard no. Last place they were loose was the tire shop when i had new fronts installed.
A 4 foot pipe on my tire iron wouldnt budge them. Sooooo, taking it back after the holiday weekend for them to do. So if they snap the studs off, its on their ignorant *****. Like wtf would i do if i got a flat?
The place I go is usually real good, so maybe it was a new guy. But still frustrating.
I've had the same problem numerous times after taking it to a shop. Thought I was gonna have an aneurysm getting them off last time! Like you said--I was using my 4 way. What a pita.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I had new tires done about 6 months ago, I watched them use a torque wrench before backing rig out of shop.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of these lugs torque at 140 ftlbs, that's super tight, take an impact to break those loose I'd guess.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of these lugs torque at 140 ftlbs, that's super tight, take an impact to break those loose I'd guess.
On these rigs yes, but this is my old 95 f150. It is supposed to be 100-110lb ft. For the most part I can loosen that with a 1/2 inch rachet. I had the factory old school 20 inch tire iron with a 4 foot pipe on that and it didnt twitch. These are stupid tight.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting flash backs to the time the local tire shop used the wrong sized socket and rounded off ALL TWENTY FOUR of my lug nuts AND didn't set up the tire machine properly and ruined one of my wheels.
Speaking of all 24 lug nuts. I remember back many years ago, a guy came to the shop i was at to get a rotate and balance on his 2500.
It had aftermarket wheels on it and they were ok but not super fancy. When i got the ticket it said lugnut keys in box on floor. Ok nothing new, most aftermarket wheels have a locking lug to prevent theft. Get it up on the lift and take a center cap off of the left front... all, i repeat ALL 8 lugs are a lock. So i get the box off of the passenger side floor, and there are 8 keys. This joker had 8 different locking lug nuts for 32 studs. To find the right one was to tey each one on every stud till you found the right key.
I went to my boss and told him and he took one look and said get that shit out of here, someone like that is dead set to blame us for a rim scratch thats already on that right rear.
Dude was pissed but nobody cared.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Speaking of all 24 lug nuts. I remember back many years ago, a guy came to the shop i was at to get a rotate and balance on his 2500.
It had aftermarket wheels on it and they were ok but not super fancy. When i got the ticket it said lugnut keys in box on floor. Ok nothing new, most aftermarket wheels have a locking lug to prevent theft. Get it up on the lift and take a center cap off of the left front... all, i repeat ALL 8 lugs are a lock. So i get the box off of the passenger side floor, and there are 8 keys. This joker had 8 different locking lug nuts for 32 studs. To find the right one was to tey each one on every stud till you found the right key.
I went to my boss and told him and he took one look and said get that shit out of here, someone like that is dead set to blame us for a rim scratch thats already on that right rear.
Dude was pissed but nobody cared.
People like that give me a chuckle

So much effort for the mechanic / roadside flat

But if anyone wants the wheels, a twist socket would take them off just as easily as a normal socket on a normal lug

I've taken off enough of those things when the owner has lost the key... To know that they literally don't do anything. If I get a personal vehicle and it has them on, I just throw the things in the trash where they belong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE