Not taking Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why is it your car's fault and not the pump or gas station's fault?
I just went through this and solved the issue. Don't keep throwing parts at this. Most likely, the beads inside the charcoal cannister are clogging the vent line from the filler neck to the cannister. The gas cannot vent so it cuts off the pump. While many try to blow out these lines, you can also have them replaced as they are not a very expensive part. I would be sure to replace the charcoal cannister as well since it will probably happen again. My GMC dealer threw parts at the problem (they replace the canister, solenoid switch - twice, and they replaced the purge valve $850) and it still would not take gas when I went to fill up on the way home from the dealer. When I took it back, THEN they replace the vent lines and everything worked fine after that. Insist that the mechanic take the truck to a station and add gas before they tell you it is ready. They replace the lines for free and paid for the gas they added after the mistake of giving me the car back with the same issue.

Attachments

• Ron Anderson repair022.pdf
    221.9 KB · Views: 4

Travis C Lipski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I’ve been on here a few times reading thread about not taking gas, well I have replaced the evap solenoid at the engine, and the canister solenoid and the charcoal canister and still will not take fuel. So I come here for suggestions what do I check next???? Before I still a rag in it and light it on fire. Lol. Thanks.

It's not the gas pumps.

So, here's what worked for me.
Disconnect the vent tube or tubes where they attach at the canisters/filters.
Remove gas cap. Using a shop vac reverse the attachment and blow air into the tank (make sure your shop vac is clean) this will blow out the carbon pellets in the vent tubes which is most likely your problem. That's what fixed mine.
You will likely see a pile of little black pellets.
I forced air into it about five times and shook out the tubes before reattaching.

Avoid overfilling tank or topping off. This is why it happens.

Travis C Lipski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just went through this and solved the issue. Don't keep throwing parts at this. Most likely, the beads inside the charcoal cannister are clogging the vent line from the filler neck to the cannister. The gas cannot vent so it cuts off the pump. While many try to blow out these lines, you can also have them replaced as they are not a very expensive part. I would be sure to replace the charcoal cannister as well since it will probably happen again. My GMC dealer threw parts at the problem (they replace the canister, solenoid switch - twice, and they replaced the purge valve $850) and it still would not take gas when I went to fill up on the way home from the dealer. When I took it back, THEN they replace the vent lines and everything worked fine after that. Insist that the mechanic take the truck to a station and add gas before they tell you it is ready. They replace the lines for free and paid for the gas they added after the mistake of giving me the car back with the same issue.
You don't need to replace. Just disconnect opposite end away from tank and use a shop vac via the fill neck and blow out the whole tank through the vent tubes.
Replacing them is not an easy task.

Vincent Mitchell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 tahoe that had the same issue, there is something on the top of the gas tank that was rusted out. I don't remember what it was, but it would not take gas either until that was fixed.

OP
OP
Johnlipps

Johnlipps

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you check to make sure you don't have any collapsed or kinked vent lines?

If the lines are are OK, I would agree checking the lines for charcoal pellets (from the old canister) getting up into the lines and plugging them up might be worth checking. A few guys have gone through this and know the ideal pressure to use when blowing the lines out to clear them. Hopefully one of them will see your thread and drop in to opine.

Oh and if you get them cleared, don't add anymore gas after it kicks off when it is full. ;)
So, after plowing everything out checked all the circuits everything check out good nothing was in the lines and boom still won’t take gas, I’m about to the point of putting a new tank and filler neck on it.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after plowing everything out checked all the circuits everything check out good nothing was in the lines and boom still won’t take gas, I’m about to the point of putting a new tank and filler neck on it.
Not knowing what exactly you have and have not done, I will list a few things I would do before throwing in the towel and start shotgunning components. Please forgive me if you already have done all of the following.

I would verify the end of the vent hose was clear (not clogged like Bill 1960 mentioned) and would blow air through from the vent hose end up through the end of the vent hose that is upon under the rear of the truck. It is not unheard of getting that hose end plugged from mud, etc.

Next I would pull the filler hose off the end of the tank and make sure any flapper and screen on that tank neck end was clear and not able to hinder flow through that neck. If the flapper was stuck, I would get something in there to get it permanently out of the way. While the fill hose was off the tank, I would put a snake down through my gas filler neck and verify it would slide all the way down easily.

I would make sure the above was done, before replacing any big parts.

EDIT: Also, make sure the tank is like less than half full before pulling the end of the filler hose off the tank. You don't want a gasoline bath, take it from someone who has actually had a solid soaking with gasoline. That stuff burns like the devil, even when it isn't ignited, but of course, much worse when it is burning. :)

Last edited:

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The above response on charcoal pellets might be the answer. My lines were completely clogged with pellets. I used a vacuum to remove them but would not recommend that because of the risk of an explosion from vapors being sucked into the vacuum.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One final thought after all of the above is accomplished, if it still won’t fill, I would double check the vent valve. I know you said you replaced it, but you may have gotten a defective part. That valve is normally open and is commanded to close, so I would double check that in its default state, you can blow air through it. If the new one was stuck closed, it would be a problem.

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had never heard of that either, but so far from what I can glean, there is a flapper like valve at the tank inlet. I suspect it is for roll over (keeping large amounts of gas from spewing out).

The reason I think I had never heard of it is I have never heard of one failing and requiring tank replacement. I would be inclined to push a snake down into the tank and push it open so it was stuck open and take my chances if I rolled it. :)
I did and still didn't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marrickard76