Noise near front passenger at high speeds (22 Denali): Anyone else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dewally

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When rolling dow the interestate at 80+ mph, I hear some weird knocking/tapping sounds coming from the passenger front. They sound outside. My wife was riding with me yesterday and commented on it. At first I dismissed it as crazy wind noise (which does not sound like wind noise at all), but now I feel something is flapping around at high speeds.

Any idea what his could be?

RichM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 09 GMC Sierra that, when new, made a tapping sound down the highway. They replaced the windshield seals and problem solved.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When rolling dow the interestate at 80+ mph, I hear some weird knocking/tapping sounds coming from the passenger front. They sound outside. My wife was riding with me yesterday and commented on it. At first I dismissed it as crazy wind noise (which does not sound like wind noise at all), but now I feel something is flapping around at high speeds.

There is a tech bulletin for '21 models for a noise like this and it comes from the wheel well liners -- Bulletin

If not that I would check the vertical exterior trim between window sections. Those can sometimes become loose and make noise.

OP
OP
Dewally

Dewally

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a tech bulletin for '21 models for a noise like this and it comes from the wheel well liners -- Bulletin

If not that I would check the vertical exterior trim between window sections. Those can sometimes become loose and make noise.
Thanks. I’m going to try this because it sounds like it is from the wheel well.

OP
OP
Dewally

Dewally

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@NYisles1 Thanks for the link. I checked it out this morning. For everyone who may hear a fluttering or tapping noise coming from the feet area of the front passenger side, this was an easy fix for me.

Some AC lines were visible after removing the rear wheel well cover (front passenger side well). There was a hose that had a retainer type ring on it that was pressed on to the end of another bolt/threaded stud. I pushed the ring clip further onto the stud (the ring grabs the threads). Hopefully, it stays put. Did an eight mile test at cruising speeds and using hyperdrive and it was completely quiet.

Banging your hand on the inside wheel well cover would make a rattling sound. A good way to tell if you may have this issue.

There was foam material behind the wheel well cover, but it didn't cover the AC lines.

AJC1025

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

We had a similar issue on out 2022 Tahoe. Turns out the forgot to install 2 of the heats shields underneath the car which caused the other to rattle.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a similar issue on out 2022 Tahoe. Turns out the forgot to install 2 of the heats shields underneath the car which caused the other to rattle.
Identical issue upon delivery of my 22’ Denali. They said the heat shield was not fastened completely and it would “flutter” at speeds around 45 MPH and greater.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will need to look into this…have the same noise on a ’21 AT4…sounds like the old radio antenna (that the car doesn’t have) is loose and rocking back/forth

Smartinfam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Just wanted to update on my 2022 Tahoe rattle that I had coming from underneath the passenger side. It started at 50 mph and got worse the faster I went. The dealership found the heat shields above the exhaust needed new clips. I had found some were loose before taking it in. The rattle is now gone. I hate rattles