no chrome grille!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phattyford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has ever had anything soda blasted. my truck has the chrome grille and its the only chrome on my truck so its gotta go! i don't wanna use the plasti dip crap i think the texture looks more like bed liner than paint and i don't want the cheap look on my hoe. i read online that soda blasting is safe for plastic but is there another way to get that chrome plating crap off? i'm gonna take it to the body shop and have them spray it black but i want it ready for paint before i go up there. any ideas?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to a body shop buddy, you just have to sand the crap out of it. There are some chemicals that help, but he said it really comes down to sanding, and it's a PITA. LOTS of people here have done it, though.

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the paint route as well and it started chipping weeks after i had it done....I went the plasti-dip route after and looks good and is holding up great. Good luck.....

wcsmith21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My grill has plast-dip on it and it looks great. I get compliments all the time. Far from a cheap look.

Juniorss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about going with a LT grille and just painting the chrome surround?? Ive also seen some grilles on ebay in black black im not sure as to the qualtiy and fitment of these pieces

Sancho

Reaction score
I've heard that if you dip the part in brake fluid, it should take the chrome off. I haven't tried this method myself, so you might want to google it a bit first.

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sand blast it. But you have to find somebody who has the equipment to do this though of course.

Check with your local tombstone dealers and see if they will do it for you.

Sand blasting works like a charm!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Brake fluid works great for paint removal idk about the Chrome but I'd bet it will work aswell

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im guessing soda blasting is different than sand? I would think that sand blasting would annihilate that plastic grill. Havent tried plasti dip on anything so i dunno there, i would say maybe find a cool aftermarket blacl grill would be the best bet.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

I have used aircraft stripper in the past to remove clear coat, paint and other things that might help get the chrome off, i never used it on plastic pieces though so use at your own risk. It works awesome for clear coat though.

Donovan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen soda blasting on tv "American restoration" they used it on a thin aluminum to remove some old paint. I have also used plasti dip in several parts on my truck. Works good on emblems and smooth surfaces. I would like to do my grille also for the same reason. I think I'll spring for aftermarket black grille or have a body shop do mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel