New User.. not a new issue I imagine...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roddodger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some likely well talked about information.
2001 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 runs great until 3rd gear doesn't initialize.
I hit the gas and the tach just flys. I am pretty sure it is a tranny problem but wanted to see if anyone has any tips, leads or can point me to a previous thread. Thanks for your time...

Phantomx55

Slow
Reaction score
Welcome aboard

Yup, that happened when my tranny blew..merged onto a highway and when it tried to shift to 3rd the needle jumped to redline and there was no go..

Where you located? I have a 4x4 4l60e rebuilt from Jasper with about 10k miles in my garage that I'm looking to sell.

Yukon&Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to say, but I'm afraid your thoughts are correct..... time for a new, different (used) or rebuild tranny.

I looked into a rebuild on my 2004 Chevy 1/2 Ton Crew last summer when I thought the tranny was ready to go (in 10°F or Colder it had to warm up before it would engage reverse). My trusted mechanic (non-dealer, and is usually very fair on price) told me it was an easy $3k project.

Best of Luck.....

OP
OP
R

roddodger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys that is what I was afraid of.
I'm in the SF Bay area...