New torque converter in 2017 Yukon at 45,000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JrKinger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 2017 Yukon with 5.3, 7 6 speed with 45,000 miles on it. It has seem to be shifting funny (shuttering and down shifting hard) every once in a while for a few months. Noticed in the manual it suggested fluids changed and filter in the trans at 45,000 miles. Tell the dealer about this they suggested servicing it but, didn’t do it. Reschedule the service took it back then they said they need to do a ride along because if they change that it will get worse. Long story short it’s been getting serviced took 2 1/2 weeks to get a torque converter in. Now it’s been a day and a half and still haven’t heard back if the vehicles done or will be ready today. My questions are has anyone else had this problem with the 6 speed and how long should it take change the torque converter? I figured 10hrs but never heard up front and everyone is busy and can’t get a call back. Since this is all done under warranty will GM get me a rental since they have no loaners? Sorry to many questions.

OP
OP
J

JrKinger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried to search the form here but didn’t find much about this.

OP
OP
J

JrKinger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have max tow package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I do. And I have done only a little bit of towing. The heaviest would be a 16’ tandem axle with a mower and about 200more lbs in stuff probably less than 10 times.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I do. And I have done only a little bit of towing. The heaviest would be a 16’ tandem axle with a mower and about 200more lbs in stuff probably less than 10 times.
Interesting. I also have max tow package with 37k miles no issues yet. I did about 1k miles pulling a 5k pound travel trailer. I do have it tuned though for firm shifts. I know the max tow package one comes with a different converter than non tow. I did a complete fluid change to amsoil sig at 24k miles. Don’t know if that is helping but anything mass produced is luck of the draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JrKinger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I think that might help as I have read anything close to my issue that a lot of people are changing fluids early to better ones and that was the fix for the 8 speed in these models. I will say I think there was more shudder than we realized because my wife and I both noticed after getting it back late today that it the ride felt smoother. It was already a pretty smooth ride.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 13 avy with the 6l80 that spit the torque converter bit around 50k. I towed a 5k boat pretty often, but the issue occured after a dealer tranny service/flush. It was the only thing my $2k GMPP ever paid for, and I believe it was billed at $900 (I no longer buy warranties). Took a couple days to get done, but I had a loaner so I didnt mind...

If mine goes out in the current rig, I will replace with a beefed up version...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JrKinger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was lucky that this was covered under warranty but, wish I could have had a beefier one. I still have a little over a year or 13,000mile left on power train so I hope if it did any damage to my tranny that I figure it out before then.

Red Chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a common enough issue there are a couple TSBs posted for it:

#20-NA-142: Shudder/Surging While Driving
#19-NA-153: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated - DTC P0741 Set (This DTC sets if the converter is totally toast)
#PIP5504F: Diagnosing Fishbite Chuggle Misfire Feeling Or Shudder Vibration, With A Light Tip In

You're lucky, at least yours happened while you were in warranty!!

billium39

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 2017 Yukon with 5.3, 7 6 speed with 45,000 miles on it. It has seem to be shifting funny (shuttering and down shifting hard) every once in a while for a few months. Noticed in the manual it suggested fluids changed and filter in the trans at 45,000 miles. Tell the dealer about this they suggested servicing it but, didn’t do it. Reschedule the service took it back then they said they need to do a ride along because if they change that it will get worse. Long story short it’s been getting serviced took 2 1/2 weeks to get a torque converter in. Now it’s been a day and a half and still haven’t heard back if the vehicles done or will be ready today. My questions are has anyone else had this problem with the 6 speed and how long should it take change the torque converter? I figured 10hrs but never heard up front and everyone is busy and can’t get a call back. Since this is all done under warranty will GM get me a rental since they have no loaners? Sorry to many questions.

One of the factories used a fluid they ended up deeming no good in the trans and if not flushed early, you run into exactly your problem... I had to bring my yukon in 5 times and they kept telling me nothing is wrong until I called and complained to gmc customer service. Somehow miraculously they felt it and said this is a serious problem. They've now had my truck for going on 8 weeks tomorrow with no end in sight and basically 0 communications from the Dealership. Only time I hear back is when I call 4 times in a day. I tried to get them to just put a new transmission in but to no avail. I was told my parts finally came in last week, but its been 9 days since I was told that and still nothing. So I offer you this, Good Luck lol. But also yes they should absolutely have you in a rental, either it being a curtesy car, i know some dealers don't offer these, but the ones that don't will usually rent you a car if its a repair that takes more then a day or 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy