New to the tahoe world..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07RCSB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked up a stupid clean 03 Tahoe LT with autoride with low miles and love it. But there are a few quirks.
1. Service ride control message is on the dash.
Both rear shocks and compressor was just replaced, and I can hear the compressor working.
NO I WILL NOT REMOVE THE AUTORIDE
No codes present when hooked up to a scanner, suggestions?

2. Brakes feel really spongy..
I just put new pads and rotors on all 4 corners, and they just dont seem very hard when you press the pedal. This is a brake booster system.
Wondering if its worth it putting a hydroboost system in (I have all parts from an 04 escalade) and also adding stainless brake lines in the front and rear. Suggestions?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a stupid clean 03 Tahoe LT with autoride with low miles and love it. But there are a few quirks.
1. Service ride control message is on the dash.
Both rear shocks and compressor was just replaced, and I can hear the compressor working.
NO I WILL NOT REMOVE THE AUTORIDE
No codes present when hooked up to a scanner, suggestions?

What scanner are you using? If there's an error message displayed, there should be DTCs present. You just need to have a scan tool capable of reading those particular modules. Also, the compressor and air bladders on the rear are part of the Auto-Leveling system and your problem may be with the Autoride, which is the electronically-adjusted shock damping system. First thing is to make sure all the pertinent wires are securely plugged in, particularly at the connector on top of the frame rail.

2. Brakes feel really spongy..
I just put new pads and rotors on all 4 corners, and they just dont seem very hard when you press the pedal. This is a brake booster system.
Wondering if its worth it putting a hydroboost system in (I have all parts from an 04 escalade) and also adding stainless brake lines in the front and rear. Suggestions?

Did you flush out all the old fluid and thoroughly bleed the system, including activating the ABS module to purge the air that gets trapped in the solenoids? If you have the components to install a hydrabooster- DO IT. Braided brake hoses are a great upgrade as well. This generation of truck is known for their spongy brakes and converting to hydraboost and braided hoses will completely resolve that crappy pedal feel.

OP
OP

07RCSB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am not sure what was done at the time of the repair on the autoride system, the previous owner did it. Trying to avoid taking it in and paying the bill $. I will have to do some checking, it seems to be working just fine its just giving me an error message.
I have a parts 04 escalade so definitely gonna do the change.
Should just be pedal, booster, and lines if I remember right. Seen the swap somewhere before but of course cant find it now..

OP
OP

07RCSB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also used my buddies snap on scanner. Forgot to say that.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The autoride system is hard to diagnose without either a Tech 2 or Snap-On Solus. A shop can scan it for those codes for a nominal fee so you know what to look for. There’s a write-up on the hydro boost conversion in the tech section.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what was done at the time of the repair on the autoride system, the previous owner did it. Trying to avoid taking it in and paying the bill $. I will have to do some checking, it seems to be working just fine its just giving me an error message.
I have a parts 04 escalade so definitely gonna do the change.
Should just be pedal, booster, and lines if I remember right. Seen the swap somewhere before but of course cant find it now..

Also used my buddies snap on scanner. Forgot to say that.

That's odd. Such a scanner should've found suspension codes.

Yes- pedal, booster, hoses and the power steering pump. The hydraboost version has a return nipple on the reservoir. Should all be a direct swap. You're very fortunate to have a parts Escalade.

OP
OP

07RCSB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think theres a way to do it without changing pumps if I remember right.. something about making a splice on the low pressure return, I will have to do some research. And yeah the escalade parts vehicle has been a huge help! I originally bought it for the LQ9 for my single cab. Has made me some money and provided some parts for my new tahoe!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think theres a way to do it without changing pumps if I remember right.. something about making a splice on the low pressure return, I will have to do some research. And yeah the escalade parts vehicle has been a huge help! I originally bought it for the LQ9 for my single cab. Has made me some money and provided some parts for my new tahoe!

This is correct. I almost did it this way when I put hydraboost on my S10 (in preparation for an LQ9 from an Escalade, coincidentally). But I scored a new ACDelco power steering pump with the proper reservoir for $20 on Craigslist. If you already have the pump, and it's in good shape, why not swap it and eliminate extra splices?

OP
OP

07RCSB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is a good point, but I cannot remember if that pump was good or not.. Ill probably keep my eyes open for a new pump and new lines.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good point, but I cannot remember if that pump was good or not.. Ill probably keep my eyes open for a new pump and new lines.

You could swap the reservoir onto your known good pump. But, with new seals and all else involved, it may be easier to splice a Y into the return hose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17