New to me: 2012 Yukon SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vinbart

Reaction score
IMG_7810.JPEG
Hey guys,
Thank you to all the people who helped answer questions as I did my Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade search. I was seriously considering an 09 Escalade at a local used car dealer, but the mark up, plus the tax and fees...fees...fees drove me to keep looking, the tires didn't match (size was even different) and it leaked oil/fluids, and I found this private party 2012 Yukon 5.3 SLT for way less.

Purchased it last weekend and have driven it a few hundred miles already.

Love it!!

Stats: 150k miles, SLT, 4X4, leather tan interior, silver exterior. Stock. 5.3. Everything works. The only thing I need to do is fix the little fan speed buttons (I ordered a $5 sticker kit on ebay, we'll see if that does the trick) and the driver's door pull is busted (like the hard plastic that goes behind where you pull the door shut is broken and it feels like you are pulling on a strap).

First things- I need some recommendations on where to mount a cell phone holder, I'm not one to drive around holding my phone, but I use it for nav (this doesn't have nav, I'll have to post a pic of the interior). And I need some advice if I should run the AFM disabler OBD2 thing, or just let the AFM thing do its stuff.

Cheers,
Vince

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you made a excellent decision! 150K miles is not bad at all. I have 120K on my 2016. It seems your Yukon was well maintained. Nice find!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 356542
Hey guys,
Thank you to all the people who helped answer questions as I did my Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade search. I was seriously considering an 09 Escalade at a local used car dealer, but the mark up, plus the tax and fees...fees...fees drove me to keep looking, the tires didn't match (size was even different) and it leaked oil/fluids, and I found this private party 2012 Yukon 5.3 SLT for way less.

Purchased it last weekend and have driven it a few hundred miles already.

Love it!!

Stats: 150k miles, SLT, 4X4, leather tan interior, silver exterior. Stock. 5.3. Everything works. The only thing I need to do is fix the little fan speed buttons (I ordered a $5 sticker kit on ebay, we'll see if that does the trick) and the driver's door pull is busted (like the hard plastic that goes behind where you pull the door shut is broken and it feels like you are pulling on a strap).

First things- I need some recommendations on where to mount a cell phone holder, I'm not one to drive around holding my phone, but I use it for nav (this doesn't have nav, I'll have to post a pic of the interior). And I need some advice if I should run the AFM disabler OBD2 thing, or just let the AFM thing do its stuff.

Cheers,
Vince
Keep clean oil in it and the AFM system is very reliable in those later years in that generation. I use a phone holder in the passenger side cup holder20190206 - 01.JPG

Did you get the service records? What are your plans with the Yukon? Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
vinbart

vinbart

Reaction score
Keep clean oil in it and the AFM system is very reliable in those later years in that generation. I use a phone holder in the passenger side cup holderView attachment 356567

Did you get the service records? What are your plans with the Yukon? Welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately it didn't come with many service records, the previous owner didn't save receipts (arggg!), but he had owned it since 2013 and seemed to have taken care of it.

My plans are to use it as a few times a week carpool car (for getting kids to-from school, soccer, sports, etc) and then to use it to get to camping sites that require some off-roading capability.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Nice Find!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it didn't come with many service records, the previous owner didn't save receipts (arggg!), but he had owned it since 2013 and seemed to have taken care of it.

My plans are to use it as a few times a week carpool car (for getting kids to-from school, soccer, sports, etc) and then to use it to get to camping sites that require some off-roading capability.
Too bad. If you learn of the dealership it was serviced at, they will often provide you with the service records, a copy in pdf form. Well, when you can get after ALL of the fluids and freshen them up. The plugs and wires were supposed to be done at 100K. Don't hesitate to change the transmission fluid even at this mileage.

Does it have a single or 2-speed transfer case? Check and see if it has an external transmission cooler up front and on the driver's side, engine oil cooler lines running to the left side radiator tank. They last about 8-10 years and need replacing if you have them. It will also have an external power steering cooler too.

Let me know how you like those tires. I almost bought a set. They came stock on many versions of these wagons and the pickups.

Oh, the AC stickers. If your buttons are missing a lot of material, scratch the stuff all the way clean before doing the stickers. Not all stickers are of the same quality. Some guys complained of bleed through, mine never did. I guess I got lucky and bought the thicker ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vinbart

vinbart

Reaction score
Too bad. If you learn of the dealership it was serviced at, they will often provide you with the service records, a copy in pdf form. Well, when you can get after ALL of the fluids and freshen them up. The plugs and wires were supposed to be done at 100K. Don't hesitate to change the transmission fluid even at this mileage.

Does it have a single or 2-speed transfer case? Check and see if it has an external transmission cooler up front and on the driver's side, engine oil cooler lines running to the left side radiator tank. They last about 8-10 years and need replacing if you have them. It will also have an external power steering cooler too.

Let me know how you like those tires. I almost bought a set. They came stock on many versions of these wagons and the pickups.

Oh, the AC stickers. If your buttons are missing a lot of material, scratch the stuff all the way clean before doing the stickers. Not all stickers are of the same quality. Some guys complained of bleed through, mine never did. I guess I got lucky and bought the thicker ones.

The 4WD controller switch has 3 positions, 2WD, Auto, & 4WD, so I assume that it is NOT the 2-speed transfer case (no 4W-low). But, I'll take a look the next time I'm under the beast.

The tires are fine, it rides like a truck and feels good on the highway. But I don't really have any other tires to compare to, except for a few test drives. I can tell you that I'm glad that I didn't get the Escalade with the 22 inch rims... :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4WD controller switch has 3 positions, 2WD, Auto, & 4WD, so I assume that it is NOT the 2-speed transfer case (no 4W-low). But, I'll take a look the next time I'm under the beast.

The tires are fine, it rides like a truck and feels good on the highway. But I don't really have any other tires to compare to, except for a few test drives. I can tell you that I'm glad that I didn't get the Escalade with the 22 inch rims... :)

If you look in your glovebox, there is an RPO sheet with all the features your truck was built with. NP0 will be the MP3010 single speed transfer case. NQH would be the MP3023, the 2-speed case. If you have the NP0, then you'll likely have the 3.08 highway gears, GU4. If you have GU6, those are 3.42s.

Those tires were at my local Walmart on the shelf for $122 each. TireRack customers put 48 million miles on them and gave them middle of the road grades. The biggest complaint seemed to be them getting punctured. My biggest complaint was the company playing politics and discriminating in a bad way towards certain employees. Michelin got my business instead. On the Sierra, they are RPOs QJP and R4Y.

Yes, the trucks with 22s have a smooth ride because of their advanced suspension. I like my 17s and high sidewalls like you! hahaha

At those miles, you'll soon be ready to overhaul the suspension with fresh bushings and ball joints and such. My ride degradation was gradual, didn't know how rough it had gotten until we replaced everything. Same for the tires!

Can the kids hold a wrench yet? There's a few of us here that have taught our youngin's how to turn wrenches on these things, fun stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout