New to me 17’ LS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that I am starting to get a slight rough idle in my 19 Suburban. I generally use Exxon or BP 87 octane, and always top tier gas.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed that I am starting to get a slight rough idle in my 19 Suburban. I generally use Exxon or BP 87 octane, and always top tier gas.

I get slight rough idle here there since I bought my Tahoe back in 2016. It is not every day and really does not bother me. If it was major rough idle then I would say something to the dealer. I can not worry about everything.

Every vehicle I have owned [even the Cadillac's] had rough idle every so often. I never mentioned the rough idle to the dealer.

I never had a vehicle [or been in a vehicle] idle as smooth as glass all the time.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get slight rough idle here there since I bought my Tahoe back in 2016. It is not every day and really does not bother me. If it was major rough idle then I would say something to the dealer. I can not worry about everything.

Every vehicle I have owned [even the Cadillac's] had rough idle every so often. I never mentioned the rough idle to the dealer.

I never had a vehicle [or been in a vehicle] idle as smooth as glass all the time.

Same here. Have always had vehicles that would shudder once in a while, at least, when idling. If you think about it, the average car idles between 500-600 rpm. At 600 rpm, that is 5 ignitions per cylinder per second. I’m not sure that what you are feeling is the engine running badly. I think part of it is just that at that engine speed it hits a resonant frequency of the vehicle and that is what you are feeling. Every structure has resonate frequencies and it it varies with how much stuff weighs, how tight bolts are, the variation in material in motor mounts, etc.

rjr

Reaction score
My 2015 didn't idle roug when new, but it does now, especially in summer with a/c on. Dealer says it's normal.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's not highly relevant as I have a 2019 6.2 (Callaway modified) but my idle is 750 RPM +/- 50 RPM with load variance (fully warmed up). At this RPM the idle is as smooth as silk. So maybe this means that if you can find a way to adjust the idle upwards to the 750 range you may see an improvement.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the TPMS deal you can check the RPO codes in the glove box sticker to be sure, different frequencies have different codes - I think. Not sure how long those devices actually last though.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's not highly relevant as I have a 2019 6.2 (Callaway modified) but my idle is 750 RPM +/- 50 RPM with load variance (fully warmed up). At this RPM the idle is as smooth as silk. So maybe this means that if you can find a way to adjust the idle upwards to the 750 range you may see an improvement.

Stock idle will be lumpy. I tuned both of my Yukons to idle at around 750rpm. High flowing heads supposedly make it hard to perfectly meter small amounts of air for smooth low RPM idle.

I take the high flowing head idle issues in the same vein as my piston slap due to short skirts and looser tolerances. Both add more power. I have a lexus for super smooth driving.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the TPMS deal you can check the RPO codes in the glove box sticker to be sure, different frequencies have different codes - I think. Not sure how long those devices actually last though.
Batteries on TPMS sensors have lasted around 7-10 years for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442