new to hybrid and lots of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08 Hybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello everyone, as the title states I am new to the hybrid word. I have an 08 yukon hybrid 4x4 with ~67000 miles on it so I still have 33000 miles left until the factory warranty runs out. I have lots of things I would like to do to it as it is now my family's only vehicle. I have been having lots of trouble finding aftermarket items for it and will take any help you can give. My Yukon is currently bone stock and has no factory roof rack.

Things I already know can be done:
Remove the hybrid graphics on the doors and rear window
auxiliary lighting
resonator delete
full size spare tire kit

Things I can hopefully get accomplished, in no particular order:
leveling kit for the front to increase ground clearance
roof basket, possibly with auxiliary lights
brush guard or complete front end bumper replacement, light duty to save weight
slightly larger off road tires, again for improved ground clearance

I have read elsewhere on this site that hybrids are substantially different in that there are some things that will not normally void the warranty will or can on a hybrid, and that there are some subtle differences in body panels and interiors.

Does anyone here have any experience with anything in the list of items i can hopefully accomplish?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Welcome! Soulsea your Hybrid man. Hopefully he will chime in soon

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Eric,

Let me see if I can help you out with a few of these ...

Remove the hybrid graphics on the doors and rear window - Yup, that's pretty easily done with a heat gun. Although be mindful that having those stickers on for 5/6 years since the truck was built might leave some paint shadowing. I don't know much about paint or detailing, but perhaps someone else can advise you as to how to remedy this if it happens.

auxiliary lighting - not sure what you mean, perhaps you could be a little more specific as to what type of lighting.

resonator delete - again very easy to do, you just need to get the exhaust tip: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-SUV-Hybr...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ceb981da4&vxp=mtr

full size spare tire kit - This is a little more complicated, but easier if you have already done the resonator delete. The good news is that you can use the cheaper spare tire kit because you won't need the resonator relocator as you'd have already deleted it. The part number is: 22925390 and you'll also need a 265/70/17 tire for it. The bad news is that you'll need to swap you rear bumper assembly. This is because your rear bumper doesn't have an access point for the spare tire hoist ... so you'll need either a regular Tahoe/Yukon bumper, or an Escalade/Denali/09+LTZ rear bumper. Between the spare tire kit, tire, new bumper, any painting and install, you're looking at over $1000 just to add a spare. I did it, but that's because i wanted the Escalade bumper, i already had the res delete, so it wasn't much to add the spare tire kit.

leveling kit for the front to increase ground clearance - I don't know a thing about leveling kits, but a lot of folks here do, so hopefully they'll advise you on a good one for your non autoride truck.

roof basket, possibly with auxiliary lights - Oh boy, this is a tough one. Can it be done? Yes. have people done it? Yes. But if you're going to add a roof rack to a vehicle that didn't have it from the factory you better locate a VERY good installer. The negative repercussions of drilling into the roof and getting it wrong are massive. Most dealers won't even touch it. If you manage to do this then we can talk aux lights afterwards. :)

brush guard or complete front end bumper replacement, light duty to save weight
slightly larger off road tires, again for improved ground clearance
- Don't know about brush guards, but make sure that you find one compatible with the Hybrid. Don't go by fitment guides cause they often get it wrong. Call the manufacturer of any aftermarket part you're looking at and make sure. Sometimes even the manufacturers aren't sure about fitment so they'll say no ... it's one of those things that you have to keep investigating on your own to find out.

For slightly better front ground clearance some folks have either removed or cut their valance (lower deflector) in half.

As far as your warranty ... at this point corrosion/powertrain/hybrid components are all that are applicable. Unless you're planning to do major performance mods there's nothing that I can see in your list (except for drilling in your roof) that will yield major issues. Note however that some dealers are known to be dicks about warranty work, so you must know your rights before youwalk in.

Hope that helps a little.

Tired now.

OP
OP

08 Hybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
soulsea,

thanks for the reply. I had already seen some of your other posts on the resonator delete and the graphics on the door along with posts from others about the spare tire so I knew those were very doable. It is good to know about the roof rack and I may just let that thought go.

as far as auxiliary lights I was talking about getting some fog, driving, and off-road lights that would go on the grill guard or front end bumper replacement.

I saw on a post from a few years ago that changing the weight on the tire/wheel combo may void the warranty, was that ever solved, or was it pertaining to the bumper to bumper warranty?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as auxiliary lights I was talking about getting some fog, driving, and off-road lights that would go on the grill guard or front end bumper replacement.

Well if you find a grille guard that will fit then of course you can mount any lights you wish to it. I'm not sure if the two little plastic covers are in same spot as the tow hook are in the non hybrids, if they are I that's where usually the grill guards/bull bars get attached. keep in mind that the hybrid bumper sticks out further than other bumpers so a lot of the guards/bars won't clear it where they turn up.

You could do a front end swap to a regular yukon front bumper assembly, but that requires all of the bumper parts AND a new hood, because your hood won't line up with the regular Yukon front bumper assy. We're talking mucho $, and not worth it.

I saw on a post from a few years ago that changing the weight on the tire/wheel combo may void the warranty, was that ever solved, or was it pertaining to the bumper to bumper warranty?

That's an old wife's tale, although like I said earlier some dealers will try to put shit like this on uninformed owners. Keep in mind that both the Escalade and Denali hybrids come stock with 22s, so no, unless you're planning to put some insanely heavy rims, adding different rims and tires will not void the warranty.

Btw to be clear, NOTHING can void an entire warranty ... as per The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, a dealer has to conclusively prove causality between an aftermarket part and the failed warrantied component, not just his opinion. It really depend on the dealer. But from what I understand you're just looking to put slightly bigger tires on your 17s right?

OP
OP

08 Hybrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes I am planning to put larger tires on the current rims. However, for some reason mine has 18" rims. not sure why, but they look like the originals i have seen in others photos and from GM stock photos of the 08.

looks like I may just have to have a custom made grill guard or front replacement.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry my bad, I meant to say 18s. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harpo123