New tire question- normal amount of weights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell nah

They should have rotated the tire around on the rim to see if it would balance better.

I would go back, have them remove the weights and the tire, and balance just the rim... If the rim balances fine, or close to fine, they need to give you a new tire. That is 100% not acceptable.

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I thought. Three of the 4 tires have 10 or more weights on them. 1 of them has 1. The one in the photo has 19 of them.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ask for the road force numbers. 40-45lbs is the max (depending). Road force is (probably) more important than actual balance. The shop I took mine to also discussed static balance and dynamic balance... Static balance was taken care of by clip-on weights inside the wheel. Dynamic was with the stick-on you see through the spoke. See if they can give you a road-force balance.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never in my life had that many weights put on any OEM stock and/or aftermarket rim to balance a wheel.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New tires? What brand? More info please. If they’re cheap Chinese tires or rims it’s possible. Sometimes the tire is so out of round that it’s nearly impossible to balance.

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, these are brand spanking new Nitto terra Grappler G2 tires. The truck is a 2018. I have just over 13000 miles on the truck. I am fully aware that AT tires sometimes require more weights to balance than an all season tire, but I thought this was excessive. Also, they were road force balanced. Discount tire is who sold me the tires and balanced. For those of you with AT tires, what is your experience? 20 1/4 ounce weights is only 5 ounces, so it's not like that's way out of tolerance or anything, it just looks like shit imho.