New tie-rods and pitman arm price...what is reasonable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Just got a quote for over $900 to replace. No idea if that's high, low, or about right. Including shop time.

Anyone have any idea? And how hard would it be for someone who doesn't even know what a pitman arm is to replace....lol?

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waaaaattttt. 900 bucks? Dude tie rods are relatively cheap. I bought some Moog ones for my DD for 90ish installed it myself. I don't know how much a Pitman costs but I'm pretty sure it ain't that expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Get another quote. Somebody is trying to rip you off big time. Moog is pricey, but worth it. They are not $900 pricey with labor. This is absolutely ridiculous. Go somewhere else. Also, get the parts yourself and take them to the shop. The markup on that stuff is insulting. And, to make matters worse, they will use the cheaper costing parts in order to make some awesome profit on them. I work in auto parts, and supply the shops and dealerships in my area. I know how these guys make their money.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
That's with labor included.

Parts themselves aren't too expensive and seem reasonable, but I really wouldn't know.

Only looking at about $330 in parts. The rest is labor.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Get another quote. Somebody is trying to rip you off big time. Moog is pricey, but worth it. They are not $900 pricey with labor. This is absolutely ridiculous. Go somewhere else. Also, get the parts yourself and take them to the shop. The markup on that stuff is insulting. And, to make matters worse, they will use the cheaper costing parts in order to make some awesome profit on them.

Yeah, I hear you. Definitely getting a second quote and sourcing my own parts.

Thanks, man.

bikerglasses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Linking him to the quality parts might he helpful.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

LSUz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just watched a youtube video for both that you need replaced. The pitman arm will be a headache and take you a 2-3 hours probably. But the tie rods are a piece of cake!! You just need to borrow a special tool from autozone and it'll take you an hr tops for both sides. They even tell you how to check if they're actually bad (wouldn't trust an auto shop, especially after that quote)

Sent from the future.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I haven't had time yet to thoroughly research parts or the how-to's, but I will be doing that. Good to know I can probably at least do the tie-rods myself.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually had to replace this on my 01 tahoe and it cost me $750 from a repair shop that's a family friend.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm pretty sure I just got my sway bar bushings Pitt man arm ,tie rods ball joints all moog and oil change done for 1100 ima say your gettin ripped

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
What year is your Denali. I can look into the prices for these tie rods and pitman arm to give you an idea of what you'll pay for the parts. Were they quoting you for inner or outer tie rods? I can't help you with labor though.

These prices are retail at my store. You can get them cheaper from some place like RockAuto. They are a vendor on this forum. Also, these prices are for a 2006 Denali.

Pitman Arm - Moog K6536 - $82.10
Inner Tie rod - Moog ES3488 - $64.20/each
Outer Tie Rod - Moog ES3493T - $71.57/each

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10