New Tahoe Owner - 2006 Z71 RWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score
SW Louisiana (originally) and DFW area presently
Hello all and thank you for the add. I life in the DFW area, work in education, husband, father, love to hunt, fish, camp, etc. Originally from southwest Louisiana (Lafayette area). My last Chevy was a 2002 Avalanche which I sold around 2004. I own a 17-foot, 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 17 and needed a tow vehicle for the weekends. Here goes:

I found a 2006 Tahoe on AutoTrader from a dealer in Frisco. 179k miles, RWD, clean carfax. Truck originally was a fleet vehicle, plus 4 more owners. Last owner had it 4 years and traded it for a pickup. Dealer said the PO was also in education and gave me his name. I bought the truck, have 6 months/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I contacted the PO who emailed me all maintenance records. The truck is clean.

One caveat, the PO told me after the sale that at 168K the camshaft bearings were worn and the dealer replaced the engine under extended warranty. The second engine was required to have 20k less miles or more. This means the new engine should have a max of 150k when installed a year ago.

I've only had the truck 2 weeks. Drove it on 1-hour trips. Last weekend I dropped the tranny pan and replaced the gasket, filter, and 5 quarts fluid. Same for rear diff. Dropped the cover, new gasket, fluid, replaced with 2.7 qts Amsoil SVG 75w90. Oil was changed at the dealer prior to sale.

Well, that's me and my truck. Oh yeah, I didn't realize the tube to fill the diff had a plastic tip inside that popped off inside the diff. After an hour of trying to fish it out, I filled it and drove it. So that happened.

Thanks again!
Jamie

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Jamie!! Glad you at least got the maintenance records from the PO!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice ride, need a pic. That piece of plastic shouldn't hurt anything in there.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like all the previous owners took very good care of it..Looks to be in excellent shape in and out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llujum