New Purchase First Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DadsToy

Reaction score
I used to work years ago at a Marathon gas station working on cars. Have a degree in aviation, but work as a project engineer building hospitals. So cars and aviation have been in my blood. Got the bug when I was 12 years old. I work on all my cars when I can. But getting older and the years being in the Marine Corps is catching up with me. Used to be in the Infantry as a 60mm motorman. Been around the world twice.
Just pick up a 2001 Chevy Tahoe. Has 5.3L v8 auto trans and is a 2WD. No third row seat. Wheels have been already swap for newer model year. Believe they are 2004 or newer. Has the original luggage cover and floor mats. Has a pioneer aftermarket stereo that is awful sounding. So looking to upgrade to a double din radio with backup camera and amp. Front seats are rough and has pretty good seat covers on for now. Will see about later installing original leather covers. Has upgraded front headlights. Everything works, but has some issues. The main thing is the steering is awfully loose. Don't know if its ball joints or steering box. So plans are to put a new cam, lifters, turbo, exhaust. But need to sort out the front end first. Then will see about dropping it to a 4/6 with helper bags. Paint is about 5 years old and the trans was rebuilt about 4 years ago with new torque converter. So I have a pretty good foot print of building my first street rod. Goal is to piss off my neighbors and shred some:driver: tires . But also take my DW on trips. Other things to sort out is the side molding. That chrome piece on the side doors. Don't know if I am going to color match paint it. Or replace it with new chrome molding. Thought about using chrome tape and cover over it. Thoughts...

Attachments

• First Pic.png
    First Pic.png
    881.5 KB · Views: 14

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

Love the plans you have. I did not see where you were going till you said "turbo". When you say loose steering, are you talking about the "feeling" is just too soft or you have to move the steering wheel too much before the front reacts? I ran shops for years and I had people come in wanting to go fast but I always told them that unless the steering and brakes were up to s*n*u*f*f, I would not touch the "go fast" request. Safety first.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH. AND, thank you for your service.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

@OR VietVet is your friend here, knowing that vintage of truck very well, and along with al the other members of this Forum, we'll provide you with any assistance that you need.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Thank you all. Great stuff. Looking forward in building this new ride. Yes OR VietVet, Safety is the up most important. Looking at upgrading the brakes as a first priority along with the steering. You have to turn the wheel before it grabs. Almost a 1/4 turn either way. And it floats.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thank you all. Great stuff. Looking forward in building this new ride. Yes OR VietVet, Safety is the up most important. Looking at upgrading the brakes as a first priority along with the steering. You have to turn the wheel before it grabs. Almost a 1/4 turn either way. And it floats.
Ok, in the future, to make sure a member knows you are reaching out to them, put the @ sign in front of their screen name and that member will get the notice. Like @DadsToy.

Sounds like steering slop in the steering gear box and that may or may not be able to be adjusted out of it. If needs replaced, use new if at all possible and a good quality steering gear and make sure alignment is done after any steering or suspension work and get a before and after print out at the shop and post those readings here.

There could also be slop at the rest of the steering and suspension components. The tie rods could be sloppy, the idler and pitman arms could be sloppy. There could be flex from frame damage at the steering gear mount area.

The floating feel could be shocks, too low tire pressure or just crappy tires, springs that are weak, control arm bushings, sway bar frame and link bushings-front and rear. A complete front and rear suspension and steering inspection is needed by a qualified tech and or shop. If you have inspected, do NOT accept a diagnosis of someone telling you something is bad. You want to know why the component is bad and even better if they can show you why it or they are bad.