New one to me..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

purp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had my transmission rebuilt on my '03 Yukon. I've had the truck back a few days now, and yesterday, as I'm driving down the highway, I was going a little bit fast, but nothing out of the Massachusetts norm... Lol. I was at about 85ish, and hit the gas a little to get out of the way of the guy coming in my lane traveling a little faster than I'd like, so I hit the gas, and it feels to me like the transmission downshifted to 2nd, or 1st.. all 4 tires smoked for a quick second, and the engine bogged, but still had power, I let off moved over, and accelerated again, and all was well.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Similar recent story of an elderly member of my American Legion. Tach started acting crazy on highway and was acting like losing power. Limped in to a recommended shop that is owned by the son of another AL member. They told her she lost 1st and second gear. They told her she needed a reman transmission for $6500. Added fluid and she limped home with no problems. She was gonna sell rig for $800 and advised had a bad transmission. She bought another vehicle. I asked her to let me check it. Was low on fluid but drove fine. I filled and drove like a bat out of hell to my place and no problems. I did a transmission service and was leaking at the transmission pan and her receipts showed last transmission service was 100k miles ago. It drove fine after that and she sold that 95 Lexus for $2250 within a week, She kept the other vehicle she bought.

It pays to know the fluid levels of everything on your vehiocle.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my transmission rebuilt on my '03 Yukon. I've had the truck back a few days now, and yesterday, as I'm driving down the highway, I was going a little bit fast, but nothing out of the Massachusetts norm... Lol. I was at about 85ish, and hit the gas a little to get out of the way of the guy coming in my lane traveling a little faster than I'd like, so I hit the gas, and it feels to me like the transmission downshifted to 2nd, or 1st.. all 4 tires smoked for a quick second, and the engine bogged, but still had power, I let off moved over, and accelerated again, and all was well.
That not sound like a fluid level problem.

To check the fluid level, you have to check at warm transmission, on equal ground and idle running engine.

If the fluid level is correct, I would fast go to the shop or mechanic, who made the rebuild, before you destroy something.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s not right. Better figure out what’s going on. I would go back to the shop immediately and let them know, and let them see how much fluid is in there themselves. If it’s low, you have proof it’s low. If you add fluid and all is normal but in 1000 miles the trans fails, you’ll be shit out of luck and the trans builder won’t do anything for you.