New member 2003 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the long run, E85 will definitely build up less carbon coke in the combustion chamber and on the valves.
Might even clean up any if you've already got some.
... too cheap to be fixing stuff ...
Try a good tune before a cam. A cam would require a damn good tune, by the way.
2WD, right? Between a mere tune, and a cam and a damn good tune, my advice to you would be:

1. Get a 4.10 axle and a good tune.
City MpG and tow rating will improve, highway MpG will stay about the same (will improve while towing).
Smiles per gallon will DEFINITELY improve. Cheaper than a cam+installing the cam if you find a 4.10 axle.

If this doesn't scratch your itch:
2. 6.0L (as is) and a good tune.
I'd personally prefer an LQ4 over an LM4 / L59, even with similar peak horses.
Under 4000RpM, the LQ4 is simply stronger.

OP
OP
S

shad1340

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since it's Flex Fuel (L59) have you tried some E85 fuel in it yet, if it's available in your area? You'd get a bit more pep and the price is lower than E10 gas, but the mileage will suffer a bit. Overall it's probably a slight gain cost-wise but a bit of a loss on range.
Never used the E85 nor have I researched. Not readily available but I do see it from time to time.

OP
OP
S

shad1340

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the long run, E85 will definitely build up less carbon coke in the combustion chamber and on the valves.
Might even clean up any if you've already got some.
Try a good tune before a cam. A cam would require a damn good tune, by the way.
2WD, right? Between a mere tune, and a cam and a damn good tune, my advice to you would be:

1. Get a 4.10 axle and a good tune.
City MpG and tow rating will improve, highway MpG will stay about the same (will improve while towing).
Smiles per gallon will DEFINITELY improve. Cheaper than a cam+installing the cam if you find a 4.10 axle.

If this doesn't scratch your itch:
2. 6.0L (as is) and a good tune.
I'd personally prefer an LQ4 over an LM4 / L59, even with similar peak horses.
Under 4000RpM, the LQ4 is simply stronger.
My 02 had a Volant cold air kit, stock exhaust and was tuned by Vengeance Racing in Ga…ran good. May do same on this one plus exhaust and call it good. Has 3.73 already so that’ll do and when it has 300k it may get the 6.0.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Has 3.73 already so that’ll do ...
Then you're a better man than I.
One of my mechs has a 4WD Suburban 5.3L, into which he swapped out 3.73 axleS (BOTH) for 4.10.
(Obviously his costs are lower than mine.)
It whooped my Tahoe's arse from stoplight to stoplight. My Tahoe has 3.73.

He let me borrow it for a few hours while he was doing maintenance on my Tahoe.
Even though his Suburban is untuned (mine is), 4.10 engine & transmission response is simply superior to 3.73.
His 'bubba gets ONE MpG worse than my Tahoe - ONE - with 4.10.

Don't knock 4.10 til you try it. You may come to think of it much as one would a larger engine -
as another improvement.

OP
OP
S

shad1340

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Then you're a better man than I.
One of my mechs has a 4WD Suburban 5.3L, into which he swapped out 3.73 axleS (BOTH) for 4.10.
(Obviously his costs are lower than mine.)
It whooped my Tahoe's arse from stoplight to stoplight. My Tahoe has 3.73.

He let me borrow it for a few hours while he was doing maintenance on my Tahoe.
Even though his Suburban is untuned (mine is), 4.10 engine & transmission response is simply superior to 3.73.
His 'bubba gets ONE MpG worse than my Tahoe - ONE - with 4.10.

Don't knock 4.10 til you try it. You may come to think of it much as one would a larger engine -
as another improvement.
The 4.10 will for sure out pull the 3.73. I am surprised at the minimal difference in MPG between the two. When it needs replacing I may install the 4.10s. Fixing to learn how to set up the gears on my Nova so I’ll be better prepared when it goes.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4.10 will for sure out pull the 3.73.
For the record, I thought my weight advantage, plus my tune, would be enough to win.
Nope. After my 1st loss, I was able to narrow his victories.
Yet after 4 more races, & despite the fact that my tune begins upshifts @ 5600RpM, he was still at least 20ft - about 1 Suburban length? - ahead of me @ 75MpH.

As for MpGs, with 4.10, I didn't have to push down as hard, or as far, or as long, for less-than-wide-open-throttle satisfaction.

OP
OP
S

shad1340

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for welcoming me to the forum. That there are folks all over the country enjoying the Tahoe/Yukon is great.

I also appreciate the opinions, suggestions and warnings.

New tires should be on Mon-Tues…I’ll start posting pics in a new thread as I make changes.

Have a great day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz