New member 2003 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Nice find!

OP
OP
S

shad1340

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome.

A time capsule. What changes are you planning on doing? Considering the low mileage, I'd just drive it and enjoy it until it's broken in... around 200k.
Thank you very much for the welcome.

I have a 2/3 drop and 20” Denali wheels for it. Plan on removing running boards and roof rack. Want to keep it stockish in appearance and anything that unbolts will be stored…at least until it’s broken in.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the welcome.

I have a 2/3 drop and 20” Denali wheels for it. Plan on removing running boards and roof rack. Want to keep it stockish in appearance and anything that unbolts will be stored…at least until it’s broken in.
This is just my opinion--BUT--If you start with a cam you'll just fall into that performance wormhole. It's usually never ending. The trans has a usual life of around 150k--little more/little less. So, if you do a cam, of course you're going to have some fun with it, which causes stress on your trans, which could cause further wear on your rear-end. I myself--actually a lot of us here--have fell into that performance wormhole. If I had your 03, with that amount of miles--I'd get a tune for it. Lots of guys here use @BlackBearPerf. They'll tweak your transmission for less slip and give you a more of a performance tune, along with tuning that 5.3, throttle response, torque management etc. I think you'd get more enjoyment with less aggravation, along with way less breakage. If you want check out the "Under Construction" threads, or check out my build thread on my 03. I swapped in a cammed 6.0, which led to a blown trans (Needed a performance rebuild) and eventually a blown rear-end. Just trying to give you a friendly heads up, not trying to change your mind. All of us here LOVE build threads, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
My 03 when it was running good. Not so much right now lol.
This was the 1st 6.0.

OP
OP
S

shad1340

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is just my opinion--BUT--If you start with a cam you'll just fall into that performance wormhole. It's usually never ending. The trans has a usual life of around 150k--little more/little less. So, if you do a cam, of course you're going to have some fun with it, which causes stress on your trans, which could cause further wear on your rear-end. I myself--actually a lot of us here--have fell into that performance wormhole. If I had your 03, with that amount of miles--I'd get a tune for it. Lots of guys here use @BlackBearPerf. They'll tweak your transmission for less slip and give you a more of a performance tune, along with tuning that 5.3, throttle response, torque management etc. I think you'd get more enjoyment with less aggravation, along with way less breakage. If you want check out the "Under Construction" threads, or check out my build thread on my 03. I swapped in a cammed 6.0, which led to a blown trans (Needed a performance rebuild) and eventually a blown rear-end. Just trying to give you a friendly heads up, not trying to change your mind. All of us here LOVE build threads, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
My 03 when it was running good. Not so much right now lol.
This was the 1st 6.0.
I appreciate the advice. This is my driver so I definitely do not want a race truck and do not want to give up any dependability or longevity. My last Tahoe, a 2002, was bought with 62k and sold with 252k. Probably never hit passing gear 10 times in 10 years. This will be the same…I’m too cheap to be fixing stuff. Starting with subtle suspension and appearance mods then drive before steam rolling into performance changes…I’ll check out your build…hopefully it doesn’t add nitro methane to an already huge fire .

OP
OP
S

shad1340

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interior and under hood pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2987.jpeg
    IMG_2987.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2988.jpeg
    IMG_2988.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2989.jpeg
    IMG_2989.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2991.jpeg
    IMG_2991.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 8

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since it's Flex Fuel (L59) have you tried some E85 fuel in it yet, if it's available in your area? You'd get a bit more pep and the price is lower than E10 gas, but the mileage will suffer a bit. Overall it's probably a slight gain cost-wise but a bit of a loss on range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts