New guy - Picked up 03 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cinycreech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whats going on everyone!

Quick info on what I snagged..

2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71
225k 1 owner guy was 75 years old bought it when he retired
Drives and Runs smooth

Honestly, I am not sure I could have found a cleaner truck. Looks like the passenger and back seats have never been used, everything works even the TV. Exterior is perfect no dents, dings or major scratches.

Now to the fun stuff..

Issues with the truck I would like some recommendations if possible..

Front and Rear Bumpers surface rust - Do I spend the coin and replace them? Try and save them? Or paint them?

Instrument cluster does not work? Any recommendations on brands? Pull and Pay?

GetFileAttachment

GetFileAttachment

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for a retired guy he sure put the miles on it, nice to see he cared for it. looks damn good for th emiles.

if you mean the cluster dont work like all the gauges are out it might need a rebuild. theres guys on ebay who rebuild them, they also install all new lights.

if the radio is also out it could just be a fuse, iirc they are on the same fuse.

ive seen new back chrome bumpers for like 100 bucks on ebay too. no idea how long they last. you know start to rust them selves.

not sure on the fronts, never looked for one.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Welcome from the PNW! The truck looks great! I've always loved that color

OP
OP
C

Cinycreech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
for a retired guy he sure put the miles on it, nice to see he cared for it. looks damn good for th emiles.

if you mean the cluster dont work like all the gauges are out it might need a rebuild. theres guys on ebay who rebuild them, they also install all new lights.

if the radio is also out it could just be a fuse, iirc they are on the same fuse.

ive seen new back chrome bumpers for like 100 bucks on ebay too. no idea how long they last. you know start to rust them selves.

not sure on the fronts, never looked for one.

I’m pretty sure they commutes down to Florida a handful of times a year from Ohio.

He said he took it to 2 different shops and both said just to replace the cluster. So figured I’d just replace it.

I’ve done some research looks like some aluminum foil and water, wool and coke seems to work. Going to try it this weekend see what happens.

Feels kinda tight in the front an in the steering wheel when only turning right. Wonder if it’s a tie rod

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tight steering sounds a lot like a bad steering box. tie rods cause a clunk and or a wandering front end.

miles are stored in the cluster, so make sure your able to transfer the miles over to the new or used one.

the re builders on ebay can do the miles swap. or a dealership im sure. ( at what cost tho?) you need to sign and send in a mileage disclaimer form for legal reasons.

OP
OP
C

Cinycreech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cool Thanks for the info I will have to do a little more research.

Whats some standard maintenance you guys would preform after picking up a high mileage used Tahoe? Anything in particular I should just go ahead an take care of?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id start with a tune up and changing all fluids. coolant to diffs and t case, if the trans fluid is dark a pan drop and filter is as far as id go, changing all the fluid, aka a flush could kill it.

being you already have a front end issue you'll want to have or inspect the front end yourself. make sure all moving parts are still tight. end links like to break and cause a clunk or rattle sometimes.

and check all 4 brakes, replace if needed.

i bought a set of R1 e line drilled and slotted pads with their scorched pads due to my brakes needed to be done super bad when i got mine.

looks like the last owner was a pad slapper, with 121,000 on it these have to be factory rotors. all 4 rotors were pooched like this one. even got a curved pad lol

021.jpg

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like someone said above, there is a guy on eBay that does the cluster for around 100 to 150 depends on how bad it is, He did mine about 1.5 years ago my cluster was totally dead, only the gauges worked but no lights. I chose all blue LED's it looks awesome. Bumpers can be had for around 100 dollars on amazon too, I replaced my painted one and I didn't feel like paying 230 for a painted one so I just got a chromed one. Been fine for about 1.8 years too. I do agree, do all the fluids and if possible get the merchant pump saver for the transfer case before you change the fluid so that you don't ever get the pump rub problem.

OP
OP
C

Cinycreech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like someone said above, there is a guy on eBay that does the cluster for around 100 to 150 depends on how bad it is, He did mine about 1.5 years ago my cluster was totally dead, only the gauges worked but no lights. I chose all blue LED's it looks awesome. Bumpers can be had for around 100 dollars on amazon too, I replaced my painted one and I didn't feel like paying 230 for a painted one so I just got a chromed one. Been fine for about 1.8 years too. I do agree, do all the fluids and if possible get the merchant pump saver for the transfer case before you change the fluid so that you don't ever get the pump rub problem.

Can you throw up a link up of the bumpers? I have a buddy that actually paints an can take hook it up!

Im hearing a little constant squeak, pretty positive it’s brakes. I’m going to order all brakes an rotors an throw them on. Any recommendations out there?

Picture after cleaning up a little. Need to figure something out with the Dull plastic trim.

120A0106-44B5-4708-B315-D8CB561B3410.jpeg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. What dull plastic are you referring to? If it's the black exterior stuff I've had great success with Krylon Fusion or Super Bond in satin. Both have held up well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9