New Guy from San Diego/Park City/Looking to get a 16-18

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tarek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to get a 16-18 7 to 8 seater as a 2nd car in our vacation home at Park City. We have a 18 Raptor there for offroading, but those rare times we need to fit guests in addition to our family of 4, I want the extra seats. My younger son will be of driving age by March, that means all 4 of us will be driving. So an extra car would be really nice. Of course handling the snow will be crucial. In my research I want to get the 6.2 V8 with magnetic suspension. That means Denali or Escalade. Since this is a second car that will be used about 12 to 15 times per year. I would like to keep price around $40k, and to get my wife to give her blessing. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I understand the 18 will have 10 speed vs 8 speed trans. I would like to know mileage concerns and what to stay under in my search for reliability concerns. We will only add about 2k miles per year to it. I don't think I want the XL versions since it will be a huge pain to park and very rarely would need that room.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

I cannot personally help you with your question regarding the 15-20 year body type; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

OP
OP
T

Tarek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Joseph, looking forward to some info.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avoid 16-17 years 6.2 like the plague....

8 speed trans is JUNK!!!!!

2015 early Esky and Denali had 6.2 with 6 speed... tried and true...

2018 is first year or 10 speed behind the 6.2.... great piece

Tahoes and Suburbans also got the 6.2 in the premier trim, sometimes you will find a RST with 6.2 and not premier... But most are premier, the premier package was the LTZ package rebranded.

Mag ride in the 18 and up was corrected for its software issues and harsh ride. The shocks tend to die at 80 k miles... Im at 80k and I can vouch for it... Mine need replacing.

The 40k budget, thats tight for sure for what you want... I may suggest waiting for the bubble to pop the end of the year into early 23, everything I am seeing the used and new markets are about to tank. But if you need it now, shop shop shop wisely. A few dents may be in order to get something with stellar driveline and interior...

Hope your search goes well man... Keep us posted on what you get.

lbenson

Reaction score
Agree with everything Bigkevschopshop said above... avoid the 8 speed!

My last truck had 175k when it went out (a 2015 w/ 8 speed). But the 10 speed I have now is significantly better. The issue with the 8 speed is you could get lucky and get high miles out of it... other ones you'll see grenade themselves early on. Not a bet I would ever want to make knowing what happened to my last one.

OP
OP
T

Tarek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys. That is very helpful. But as you said the budget makes it hard to get the 18 and up. I am flexible on budget for up to 5 to 8k, still that makes it tough. I don't want 15 with the 6 speed since it doesn't have apple car play and the CUE system they say is very slow. I have a couple guys in the biz doing searches for me and on the auctions. Hope I get lucky. I would like to get one soon, as we travel there a lot and it would be handy to have that second car there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the XL would provided much needed room in the back and would not be a pain to park your raptor may already be longer anyway or they would be equal length.
these things handle like cars turn radius is excellent and probably turns tighter then the raptor, go test drive you might be surprised.

OP
OP
T

Tarek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Will try it. But finding parking for a big suv that is 20inches longer is gonna be tough. And would rather something easier then Raptor.
Keep in mind guys this extra car will get less then 2k miles per year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts