New Guy from San Diego/Park City/Looking to get a 16-18

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbenson

Reaction score
the XL would provided much needed room in the back and would not be a pain to park your raptor may already be longer anyway or they would be equal length.
these things handle like cars turn radius is excellent and probably turns tighter then the raptor, go test drive you might be surprised.
Agree here as well, the XL still has a fantastic turning radius compared to any pickup truck.

OP
OP
T

Tarek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to report, but I went ahead and got a 19' Ford Expedition 4WDPlatinum, white on black. Unless I got the 21' or newer the GM products just don't have very good seating for 2nd and 3rd row compared to the Expedition. The 2nd row bench, all 3 sections will slide back and forth and recline. Then the 3rd row, the floor is very low so no knees in your chest. And thus I went for the 2nd row bench to fit 8 people very comfortably. Since I have the raptor, the interior functions are the same and I like them.
Plus the eco boost can be ECU tuned for extreme power, like I did in the Raptor. Gonna probably black out the wheels and chrome bits. And possibly 2inch lift with some bigger tires. Have a shop in Park City that I have been talking too, and they will get that done for me.
I guess this is a bad start to a TahoeYukon forum. I like most everything else better about the GM products, but the seating was not very good and didn't want to spend 21' and newer money.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to report, but I went ahead and got a 19' Ford Expedition 4WDPlatinum, white on black. Unless I got the 21' or newer the GM products just don't have very good seating for 2nd and 3rd row compared to the Expedition. The 2nd row bench, all 3 sections will slide back and forth and recline. Then the 3rd row, the floor is very low so no knees in your chest. And thus I went for the 2nd row bench to fit 8 people very comfortably. Since I have the raptor, the interior functions are the same and I like them.
Plus the eco boost can be ECU tuned for extreme power, like I did in the Raptor. Gonna probably black out the wheels and chrome bits. And possibly 2inch lift with some bigger tires. Have a shop in Park City that I have been talking too, and they will get that done for me.
I guess this is a bad start to a TahoeYukon forum. I like most everything else better about the GM products, but the seating was not very good and didn't want to spend 21' and newer money.
enjoy!

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son has a 2015 Yukon Denali with 6 speed & I have a 2018 Yukon Denali with 10 speed. Both are great rides. My 2018 has a more refined ride and gets better mileage. My lifetime avg is 20.6. I turned off AFM 2,000 miles ago so in V8 all the time now I've averaging 22.5 mpg.

OP
OP
T

Tarek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought you didn't want the extra length? Of course the Ferd will be better back there, it's longer. Keep your tools handy, those little turbo motors are not going to like being driven only 2K miles a year.
Its only 6 inches longer, whereas the XL Yukon is 20 inches longer. So I am still 14 inches shorter then the XL. We will see, I have 2 shops that I have developed relationships with that will not just hold my Expedition at their lot for easy pickup and drop-off when going to SLC airport, but also provide service to it as it needs. I am not a handy man with tools, best pay someone who knows how.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its only 6 inches longer, whereas the XL Yukon is 20 inches longer. So I am still 14 inches shorter then the XL. We will see, I have 2 shops that I have developed relationships with that will not just hold my Expedition at their lot for easy pickup and drop-off when going to SLC airport, but also provide service to it as it needs. I am not a handy man with tools, best pay someone who knows how.
Ok, keep us posted on your new ride, maybe even a little review after you've owned it a while.

scrap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Avoid 16-17 years 6.2 like the plague....

8 speed trans is JUNK!!!!!

2015 early Esky and Denali had 6.2 with 6 speed... tried and true...

2018 is first year or 10 speed behind the 6.2.... great piece

Tahoes and Suburbans also got the 6.2 in the premier trim, sometimes you will find a RST with 6.2 and not premier... But most are premier, the premier package was the LTZ package rebranded.

Mag ride in the 18 and up was corrected for its software issues and harsh ride. The shocks tend to die at 80 k miles... Im at 80k and I can vouch for it... Mine need replacing.

The 40k budget, thats tight for sure for what you want... I may suggest waiting for the bubble to pop the end of the year into early 23, everything I am seeing the used and new markets are about to tank. But if you need it now, shop shop shop wisely. A few dents may be in order to get something with stellar driveline and interior...

Hope your search goes well man... Keep us posted on what you get.
Avoid 16-17 years 6.2 like the plague....

8 speed trans is JUNK!!!!!

2015 early Esky and Denali had 6.2 with 6 speed... tried and true...

2018 is first year or 10 speed behind the 6.2.... great piece

Tahoes and Suburbans also got the 6.2 in the premier trim, sometimes you will find a RST with 6.2 and not premier... But most are premier, the premier package was the LTZ package rebranded.

Mag ride in the 18 and up was corrected for its software issues and harsh ride. The shocks tend to die at 80 k miles... Im at 80k and I can vouch for it... Mine need replacing.

The 40k budget, thats tight for sure for what you want... I may suggest waiting for the bubble to pop the end of the year into early 23, everything I am seeing the used and new markets are about to tank. But if you need it now, shop shop shop wisely. A few dents may be in order to get something with stellar driveline and interior...

Hope your search goes well man... Keep us posted on what you get.
Just spent $5000.00 at the stealership for a factory reman 10 speed for my 2018 premier with 60K miles. Past warranty milage. So much for a great piece.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spent $5000.00 at the stealership for a factory reman 10 speed for my 2018 premier with 60K miles. Past warranty milage. So much for a great piece.
Id love to know what went wrong with that one that was in there. Thats the first failure of a 10 speed with low miles that I have heard of. Damn man sorry to hear it.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm from the 2006 area of the forum and looking at getting a 2016 Tahoe LTZ from a family member. Has the SISI, VVT, AFM and E85 aluminum engine with 6 speed. 60k miles. They have done all the service, not sure if the trans has been serviced.
Is there a BlackBear AFM delete for this engine? Should I do that? Also, how are people cleaning the valves (SIDi)? What other things should I be looking out for?
Thanks.
-Henry