(New guy) - 2013 Tahoe LT - Tekonsha P3??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BooBoo

BooBoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the 12v aux powering is always hot (which it is on my NBS) then be careful about leaving the trailer connected electrically while making longer stops for things like lunch, etc. It can drain your battery if you're powering something that takes a lot of current, like a fridge. And be sure to plug it back in before you take off again; I got in the habit of checking a few trailer lights after each long stop.

Wow, thank you! I would have never thought of this. We actually DO generally leave the fridge on, so this is great to know.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fridges are typically more efficiently cooled on propane so you can run it that way while stopped; some switch over automatically. Kind of a pain to switch back and forth manually. I used to run mine on propane while driving but the burner would occasionally blow out while moving. And some tunnels and other places restrict the active use of propane while traveling, although the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnels on I-70 west of Denver do not.

OP
OP
BooBoo

BooBoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fridges are typically more efficiently cooled on propane so you can run it that way while stopped; some switch over automatically. Kind of a pain to switch back and forth manually. I used to run mine on propane while driving but the burner would occasionally blow out while moving. And some tunnels and other places restrict the active use of propane while traveling, although the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnels on I-70 west of Denver do not.
Thanks again - I think we'll just make sure that everything is turned off when it's on the road. My 2013 is gas, but came with an additional battery tray. I've looked into what is required to hook up a second battery and may do that as a "just in case" measure.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, our camper is a 2021 and uses a 12V-only residential-style compressor fridge (doesn't run on propane), and when shopping we found that most new campers are coming with this new generation of 12V fridge. They're very efficient, so we haven't had any problems with ours draining the truck's battery on extended stops or while boondocking with the truck still connected. I believe the current allotted to the trailer harness for power is regulated to a low draw, and that the BCM shuts off the circuit after a certain amount of time, but I'm not 100% sure.