New buyer - 2012/2014 or 2017/2018?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTOM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Personally, I feel the newer trucks feel tighter on the inside.

You're not alone in this sentiment. This was the first thing my wife noticed when we were looking to upgrade from our '11 Yuke.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 12-14 are the better trucks but you have to get the right truck, in good shape, and still be willing to spend some money on repairs/restoration so to speak. A Chevy or base Yukon feel and look very cheap inside compared to a Denali or Escalade and are much noisier with the insulation package and the Escalade has better door glass. I replaced the entire suspension on both of my Escalades and put Michelins on them and they both ride and drive better than any K2 I've driven. The K2 handles a little better stock for stock (Hellwig can take care of quickly) but they ride so bad, you can feel every bump in the road and the booming is annoying and very common. I will just keep restoring what I have.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 12-14 are the better trucks but you have to get the right truck, in good shape, and still be willing to spend some money on repairs/restoration so to speak. A Chevy or base Yukon feel and look very cheap inside compared to a Denali or Escalade and are much noisier with the insulation package and the Escalade has better door glass. I replaced the entire suspension on both of my Escalades and put Michelins on them and they both ride and drive better than any K2 I've driven. The K2 handles a little better stock for stock (Hellwig can take care of quickly) but they ride so bad, you can feel every bump in the road and the booming is annoying and very common. I will just keep restoring what I have.
100%.

That's my plan for the next 10 years as well. One or both of our Yukon XL Denali's will see our kids off to college and then we can decide what to do about new vehicles then.

I'd want $5M in the bank to justify spending $90K on a new truck right now, and we have a long ways to go before we retire. Lol.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K2 15+ all the way. You picked the right one. Only thing to fear is the lifters but that horror is shared across both model runs.

me88

Reaction score
All Escalade got 6.2L & 6SP, Tahoe, Burb & Yukon got the 4SP unless it had AWD/Denali or the 6.2L. The 3/4 ton got their 6SP in 09 along with all the other years at that point. The odd man out was 09 Tahoe where some 5.3 (LC9) got the 6SP and other 5.3 & 4.3 V8 (LY5, LMG, LY2) got the 4SP. GM Sprinkled a few 6.2L (L9H) e85 capable 6.2L around in 2009 and abruptly ended that in 2010...
I have a model year 2009 with the LY5 5.3 engine and 6-speed transmission (MYC).

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 Yukon 5.3L. w/6sp. i had a 2010 avalanche, obv the yukon is way quieter, for a multitude of reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts